Solved! Connecting TV's digital output to PC's digital input using a converter.

Jan 2, 2019
My TV is an LGOLED55B6V. I'm trying to connect the TV's digital audio output to my PC soundcard's digital input, which is an SPDIF RCA socket. To this end I bought a converter, which has its own power supply. The converter accepts input via a Toslink cable, same as the TV's output. It outputs a digital signal via RCA. I also bought a digital coax cable with RCA connectors and a Toslink cable. After hooking it all up I'm receiving no signal at the PC, apparently. I'm left scratching my head. I'm thinking the SPDIF input signal may be a different format to the TV output signal. Any ideas? Thanks, Bernie

Solution
I sussed the problem and solution - having never used a Toslink cable before I didn't realise they actually come with tiny 'lens caps' on the ends. Now I've removed them it works ...they were tiny and well moulded and not immediately apparent... .thanks for your help, anyways.
Jan 2, 2019
Yes. It converts Toslink input to a digital RCA output. In fact it was the only converter I saw available on eBay that does (supposedly). I also made sure the lead I bought was a digital coax with RCA connectors.

Jan 2, 2019

Hi. The digital coax cable I'm using has a single RCA type connector at each end. Apparently it's good for multi-channel audio. The soundcard's SPDIF input is of this type. The converter's supposed digital output is also a single RCA type socket.

Jan 2, 2019

It's a single connector at either end. Supposedly surround sound capable. I know what you mean, but it's not an analogue stereo lead with two connectors at each end.

Jan 2, 2019
I sussed the problem and solution - having never used a Toslink cable before I didn't realise they actually come with tiny 'lens caps' on the ends. Now I've removed them it works ...they were tiny and well moulded and not immediately apparent... .thanks for your help, anyways.

Solution