Johnnie6

Commendable
Nov 21, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have a hifi system (JVC) and a Samsung soundbar. I need help connecting the two. I'm not too clued up with this kinda stuff so help me out here.
At the moment I connect an audio output cord into the port labled "phones" on the hifi and into the red and white RCA inputs on the soundbar. I then play something on the hifi - sound is transmitted through to the soundbar, but nothing comes out of the hifi (I would think that the hifi assumes headphones are being used).
Is there a solution, or alternatively what is the best way to connect these two systems?

Thanks

Solution
They aren't really intended to be connected to each other.
If the JVC has a record out then connect that to the RCA input on the soundbar. The volume control of the JVC will not affect the volume of the soundbar this way.
An alternate method is to connect a speaker to line level converter to the speaker terminals of the JVC (even if there are speakers already connected). That will give you an output to for the soundbar. This way the volume control of the JVC controls the soundbar too.
If the JVC is surround sound and you want to use the soundbar as the center speaker then use the alternate method above but connect the converter to the center speaker terminal.
If you try it and don't like the combined sound don't be surprised.
They aren't really intended to be connected to each other.
If the JVC has a record out then connect that to the RCA input on the soundbar. The volume control of the JVC will not affect the volume of the soundbar this way.
An alternate method is to connect a speaker to line level converter to the speaker terminals of the JVC (even if there are speakers already connected). That will give you an output to for the soundbar. This way the volume control of the JVC controls the soundbar too.
If the JVC is surround sound and you want to use the soundbar as the center speaker then use the alternate method above but connect the converter to the center speaker terminal.
If you try it and don't like the combined sound don't be surprised.

Solution