Connection help. Getting TV audio from speakers even when TV is shut off

seaisle

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
My son disconnected our entire set up to install it on a new TV stand. (Cable box, TV, DVD, Receiver with speakers). When he set it up we are now getting the TV audio through the speakers even when the TV is shut off. Does anyone have a flow chart of how the sound and video connections should go.... or an easy explanation? Thanks!!!!

Solution
Here is my preferred setup.

To TV
- Cable Box
- DVD/Blu Ray
- Any other video source

To receiver
- TV via Optical Audio (if not available coaxial audio last choice RCA jacks)
- Any other audio only device

All video sources should use the best connection possible. So, start with HDMI. If that is not available Component Video, then S-Video then Composite. HDMI does both video and digital surround sound audio. If your video device is using HDMI there is no reason to have extra audio connections hooked up.

If your video device is so old it only supports Component, S-Video or Composite Video. It will need a separate audio connection. Preferably optical audio then coaxial audio then RCA jacks. Unless it is some old video game console or...
Here is my preferred setup.

To TV
- Cable Box
- DVD/Blu Ray
- Any other video source

To receiver
- TV via Optical Audio (if not available coaxial audio last choice RCA jacks)
- Any other audio only device

All video sources should use the best connection possible. So, start with HDMI. If that is not available Component Video, then S-Video then Composite. HDMI does both video and digital surround sound audio. If your video device is using HDMI there is no reason to have extra audio connections hooked up.

If your video device is so old it only supports Component, S-Video or Composite Video. It will need a separate audio connection. Preferably optical audio then coaxial audio then RCA jacks. Unless it is some old video game console or VCR you should be looking at updating the device with an HDMI unit. If you want to get the most out of your TV and Surround Sound.

If your DVD does not support HDMI, you really should consider an upgrade. Blu-Ray players are dirt cheap now. Many also support Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, &c. Although the ones with good online video are a bit more expensive.

If your cable box doesn't support HDMI. Bring it down to your cable provider return center and replace it with a modern unit or call them and pay a shipping fee. You are paying a lot of money each month. You are also paying a rental fee for equipment which is the same whether it is a ten-year-old box or the latest model. I'd demand the latest model.

When I connect the video sources to the TV. I have the TV send the audio to the receiver via optical audio also known as SPDIF or TOSLINK. As it is lossless. Same goes with coaxial audio, both are digital. I want the audio to pipe through the TV so I don't have to switch inputs on the receiver and TV. That just makes extra work for no reason. If you use a digital audio connection the sound should be killed when the TV is off.

The only time I want to switch sources on the receiver is if I am done with TV and want to listen to music or the radio. My setup is actually a bit more complicated as I use a separate Preamp, Amp and Radio. Still I just switch audio sources on my preamp.

If you need cables buy them on Amazon or Monoprice. They are way cheaper than places like Best Buy. As far as any digital connections (HDMI, Optical Audio, Coaxial Audio) go it either works or it doesn't. The signal is lossless so it doesn't matter the brand or bells and whistles like gold tips. Same goes for any computer cable.

Only on analog connections (RCA, Component, Composite, S-Video) does quality matter but you can find high quality ones on Monoprice/Amazon just as good as overpriced Monster audio for $5 to $10. For analog just get the thick ones with gold tips and good customer reviews. Mainly what matters is low resistance (Ohm) and good shielding.

Solution

seaisle

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks. I'll check our connections and try this tonight. I suspect my son may have the audio going to receiver straight from Cable box which I'm guessing could be why we hear TV audio when the TV is off. Thanks again for your reply.

Yea, that is most likely the cause. You're welcome.

Probably.

But why does this bothers you? as the cable set-top box is always on? You just set your receiver to listen to "something else?" A major function of the receiver is to select which input you are interested in, you certainly are not stuck to the set-top box input.

How exactly is hooked up depends what your end goals are. There are some "standard" ways of doing it but maybe your son did this for a particular reason?

jlodoggy1

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Im sure its just a wrong connection ,and most TV inter services will help you via phone talk through or actually come to your house and reconnect everything the way it should be.