Consistant lag spikes in any game and Windows

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
I just bought a new laptop as an upgrade, and it is indeed a big upgrade for gaming on a laptop, however what it does that my old computer never (or at least very rarely) did, is have sudden and consistant lag spikes in any game, and sometimes even when there isn't a game running. It'll go maybe 30 seconds of clean 60fps, then for 10-20 seconds drop to 20-30fps, repeat until I close the game. Just in windows there's also a lot of sudden 2-3 second freezes (as in everything stops responding) whenever it asks for admin privilages, or open pretty much any program, even a new file explorer window. I have no idea what the issue here would be, my first guess would maybe be that theres an issue with the 250gb m.2 ssd that windows 10 is installed on, or maybe it's a software issue, I don't think I've had it long enough for it to be malware, but again I have no idea. I'm pretty dissapointed about this and I'm going to keep looking into it myself, but any help here would be immensely appreciated.

Here's a link to my DxDiag information if it's useful:
https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApFTBN78lWE9go1hP0J-8HeXVsRMpg

Hmm...
If you can get a USB HDD, then I would do the following:

0: (forgot) run MEMTEST86 www.memtest86.com for a full pass or until errors

1. Backup Windows Image - Acronis True Image (if you have a WD drive get the software from WD support. Free version for manual backup, not automatic).

2. Do W10 In-Place Upgrade
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

a) get the W10 media (don't use older version)
b) run "setup.exe" when opened on your laptop
c) make sure to choose to keep DATA and PROGRAMS (it should default to this option)
d) do not enter a key when prompted (the page also tells you not to do this)
e) finish, and allow Microsoft Updates to finish
f) test
g) if everything works now make a new backup Image and replace the old

Also, you asked about the M.2 SSD specifically. Did you add that to the laptop after you bought it?

I doubt it is likely the issue if it came WITH the laptop, though it's not impossible.

If the UPGRADE fix above doesn't work I'd consider RMA'ing the laptop or at least contact their tech support team. Perhaps there's eve some simple fix like a BIOS upgrade.

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

It came with the laptop, though I did switch out the HDD with a 2tb one

jackiekan

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

I just tried refreshing windows, the lag in windows still seems to be present