Consumer Reports: AT&T Has the Most Unhappy Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
ATT is so full of crap. I have ATT and I know my cell phone bill will go up if they buy out T-mobile. I hardly ever use my phone as a phone, and have 6000+ rollover minutes but I can't get a cheaper cell phone plan. It's no wonder they are ranked so low. I really need to dump them

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
This is not surprising at all. I was on AT&T for over two decades... I called once and got my account specific information, they asked why, I said cause I was looking over the possibilities and considering switching carriers... They didn't do ANYTHING to try to keep me. They just gave me the information and hung up the phone... Not even a "We're sorry to see a long-time subscriber leave" or nothing. If anything, they had the "You'll be back" attitude... And they didn't even ask why until like a month later after I had a locked in new contract with Sprint... Then the CSR call came... I simply just said "few days too late to waste your time... I won't break contracts.".

I don't miss AT&T at all. And at least in my area, Sprint has actually a much better signal all the way around. Not to mention the only network with true unlimited data... For now...

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
What's interesting here is that Consumer Cellular uses at&t's network and Credo uses Sprint's network. This tells me that alot of this report's "data" is probably mostly based on hype or because of pricing of services/contracts.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I had AT&T for 8 years and the only time it worked ok was when I got an iPhone. The data was slow, but the calls were decent. Everyone else on my plan had major call issues. They finally upgraded their 3G area, but I moved on to Verizon and have double the speed everywhere and great call reliability.

LOL @ AT&T's 4G commercials, their 3G still sucks.

fenix1186

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I like Sprint. Best cost to what you are getting ratio of the big 4. Good phone selection as well. They need a larger network with a bit better signal. And def a move to LTE networks. Not saying the signal is terrible. T-mo has always been worse, but verizon has the best signal... Sprint is a good middle. Verizon is so INCREDIBLY overpriced for what you are getting. I hold Sprint in high regard for still carrying the unlimited data on their smart phones.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If the USA would get out of the dark ages and separate the device from the service and do away with contracts, consumer satisfaction would go way up, IMHO.
It used to be that those contracts would subsidize the price of the device. I think most people feel "ripped off". Now, people have become accustomed to paying these high prices and these carriers have the service "locked down". So even without a contract you have to pay the same high monthly fee, so you might as well get the subsidized "upgrade" phone when you contract is up, otherwise you are paying their high fees for nothing. These carriers have us by the balls and our government is failing us in fixing it.

I don't understand how Verizon and Sprint lead the pack though, they still use CDMA. I guess because people care more about speed rather than lock-in. At least with AT&T, if you have an unlocked device, you can jump on T-Mobile if needed. Wish their were some other prepaid GSM carriers in my area.

I never want to see the T-Mobile AT&T merger succeed. That is the last bastion of separate GSM providers.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Once again, we see the reason for the AT&T "Death Star" logo. And while AT&T, desperate to rebuild their pre-80s monopoly, may like the merger idea, they forgot that their claims that "It'd be an improvement for customers" would only apply to their OWN, not T-Mobile's.
[citation][nom]ThisIsMe[/nom]This tells me that alot of this report's "data" is probably mostly based on hype or because of pricing of services/contracts.[/citation]
...Because we all know that there's nothing more to a carrier than the network of towers they use? Yeah, yeah right.

I think that there's also a lot more at work here, including the system managing load on the towers, which can be different for different carriers, as well as the pricing and customer service. Given AT&T's penchant for being highly restrictive and expensive, it's not hard to see that they'd get dinged there, even if, say, they had the best towers.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Had AT&T in NY, couldn't get service anywhere, although phone constantly showed 5 bars. Internet was at snail speed. They are terrible liars: advertised speeds are unattainable and calls drop consistently and daily. I dropped calls to my grandma, during an interview, while calling AT&T support and in the middle of saying happy new years. Actually I can't remember a significant point in my life last few years where I didn't drop a call.

It is by far the largest scam in telecommunications at the moment. Who else in any industry gets away with a small fraction of their guaranteed service? TV, Radio, ISPs, landlines, even Verizon wireless all do as they promise, while AT&T consistently fails to perform. Shame on them.

I ended up terminating my contract early and going to Verizon. The difference was night and day. Internet and phone calls once again worked as promised, everywhere. Screw you AT&T.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
It all depends on where you live.. Where Im at near West Palm Beach in South Florida, ATT rocks.. My buddy has Verizons 4G service and gets 20+mbps at home near Miami, but up here were I live and we work, he gets slower speeds than my ATT 3G service... And in the 10 years Ive had ATT Ive dropped maybe 10 calls.. The only time I have ever had issues with ATT was when I drove to Virginia a few months ago and there were several areas in SC where I had no service.. I had a solid signal all the way through FL and GA, at least strong enough to stream music from Rhapsody the entire time.. Ive got their U-Verse service at home too and after switching from Comcast, Im loving ATT..

G

I've been with AT&T before and I'll never come back.
I'm happy with T-Mobile prepaid plan - save lots of money for other projects.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
U.S. Cellular's customer service and service quality are second to none.
Their phone selection on the other hand is pretty dismal. I have their only WP7 phone, they have no iPhones, and their android selection is 6months to 1 year behind the big four. The best phone they offer is the Moto Electrify. Not the worst phone, but give me a high-end HTC or Galxay S2.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
U.S. Cellular is amazing. Customer service is fast and acts like they care.

AT&T made a 19 BILLION dollar profit last year... and they say they can't afford to keep up with Verizon and have the same amount of coverage. BS. This is why I hate them.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
meh, I like AT&T, but that is because I get a 20% company discount and I don't get smart phones so internet doesn't matter to me. There are only 3 dead spots that I often visit. My house (I believe the aluminum siding ruins the signal because I step outside and it works fine), the grocery store (same reason I believe), and my in-laws (just a dead spot). Everywhere else it works great.

G

I could tell my story about att but why waste your time and mine. They have been and continue to be all about att not their customers. They so remind me of our government that pretty much covers it.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
AT&T is pretty awful as both an ISP and a Wireless provider. It's not just the fact that they never meet their advertised services, but also that the customer support is lacking in most social skills.

I know a man that worked for a regional provider that was on Forbes list for highest satisfaction something like seven years running? A year after AT&T bought them, cut their budget, and replaced higher management, they were off the list and among the lowest in customer satisfaction rates.

TL;DR He quit his job because he was embarrassed to work at a company so inept at serving its customer base...

Don't get me started on the legalities of their contracts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.