Content Cannot Be Viewed on Mobile - Bypass

wudien

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Is there a way to trick or bypass websites blocking content on mobile devices? If you arent sure what I am talking about try watching the Daily Show on your phone (or tablet i suppose)
Is this mobile identification permanently stuck to the phone a la IMEI? Any help would be appreciated.

If it's not showing up on your phone, it won't play even if the site tried to send it to the phone. The reason they make mobile enabled sites is to prevent issues with mobile browsers trying to render stuff it can't and crashing. It's like trying to force a diesel gas nozzle into a regular car, it's made to not fit for a reason.

There should be options in the phone browser settings to have it identify itself and another version if you want to mess around with that.

What does VPN have to do with this?

wudien

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
i think its beyond that. phones can most likely play every single video on youtube but they disallow some if the author has blocked the option for mobile devices. So its not quite diesel/gasoline. The idea of a vpn would work, tunnel through another computer with your phone to a website otherwise blocked on mobile (not the entire website, just the video) and watch it, thanks to the properties of a VPN

Are you only talking about youtube videos? Or all web sites?

If you want to connect to a remote PC, you want RDP not just VPN. You'll just be using your phone to display the regular computer screen and using the remote computer for the actual work of connecting. Just using a VPN connection to a network won't help you as the phone's browser will still report itself to the site as a mobile device. Try changing the settings on the browser to identify itself as a regular desktop program.