Continuous Beep on start up, windows loads but...

stezzo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello,

My brother has a gateway laptop he used for 1 1/2 years(2005-2007) until 1 day on startup it keep making repeated beeping during booting. After windows loads up, it stops beeping but when on the internet - you cannot type in anything! As soon as you put the mouse in the search bar to type, it types in "...................................................................................",
all the way across as if the ".", key is stuck. I recently got great help from combat wombat for my Dell laptop, thanks again "CW". Hoping to get some more great help again or at least to be pointed in the right direction would be appreciated but still hoping to go 2 for 2 on tom's hardware. It's been years so the Gateway laptop is no longer in warranty so my bro is using the old dinosaur Dell desktop from 2001 that takes forever when on the net, lol. Thank you.

Thank you,
Stezzo aka Steven

Solution
You might try to find instructions or a video on how to just take the keyboard out of your particular laptop. Most times its only 2 screws and a careful tug, then 1 tiny little ribbon cable.

The computer should start and work with no key board, although you can't do much with mouse only.

There are lots of people that sell aftermarket and generic laptop keyboards on ebay for 10-20 bucks. Just match up the model numbers. I have replaced 10 or so in the past 2 or 3 years this way.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Sounds like the . key really is stuck. Try booting with a usb key board and look in the bios if there is an option to disable the laptop keyboard. If it works correctly then you know the key board is the issue. Pop off the . key and make sure the little plastic levers are moving correctly. If that does not help look into replacing the keyboard.

stezzo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hey Bucknutty

How's it goin'? First let me apologize for not responding sooner but I had to support a great friend of mine who just lost his dad so with the traveling and the emotions flying and all I was a bit tuckered when I saw your post yesterday, but thank you for your response.

Now, to all things computer related. Thank you for some insight there. I haven't had the chance to work on the laptop yet but I will this afternoon and make a post of the progress. Thank you.

Stezzo

stezzo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hey bucknutty

I gotta say that I'm sooooooooooo frustrated wth my bros laptop because it offers the option of either f2 and f10 BUT for some reason even when you try to access settings that way it just goes to the desktop (with a whole lot of annoying beeping!) so I was unable to disconnect the keyboard. I tried to use the desktop options for "hardware" but I'm unable to disconnect the keyboard from there. I was able to tinker with the keyboard key and mouse speed and when the "........................................................", go across the screen it's super slow doing it. So that's as far as I could get. Unfortunately that's all I can report. I'm gonna get a new pair of ear plugs so I can bear the beeping noise that blasts through the house and hope to get lucky with the function keys upon booting. Thanks bucknutty - if I get any closer to disabling the keyboard w/o breaking the darn thing I'll give you a message. Thanks again.

Stezzo aka Steven

bucknutty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
You might try to find instructions or a video on how to just take the keyboard out of your particular laptop. Most times its only 2 screws and a careful tug, then 1 tiny little ribbon cable.

The computer should start and work with no key board, although you can't do much with mouse only.

There are lots of people that sell aftermarket and generic laptop keyboards on ebay for 10-20 bucks. Just match up the model numbers. I have replaced 10 or so in the past 2 or 3 years this way.

Solution

stezzo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hey bucknutty

Thanks so much for helping me feel a bit better about finding a solution to this. I gotta be honest I'm a little clumsy with computer parts - I'm better skilled working on boilers. I will definitely look for instructions for taking the keyboard apart. Just to think that it could be fixed as easy as replacing the keyboard has me really enthused! Thanks so much. I'll take my time as not to destroy the laptop in the process, lol, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

stezzo aka steven

stezzo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hey bucknutty

I'm not very familiar with laptops but I finally learned how to take this thing apart w/o breaking
it too much, lol. So I took the keyboard apart and the same beeping noise happens and when the
OS appears it stops as it did before and even with the keyboard disconnected the same
"..........................................." , goes across the search bar.

If there is anything else you can think of I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much bucknutty for your help
in the process of learning and giving me the confidence to get this far. Thank you Tom's hardware.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Stezzo aka Steven

babycave

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I am having same issues but no keyboard stuck issue i mean recently when i start my laptop it keep beeping several beeps but stop and work fine once windows start. Can anyone tell me if there is any problem as soon as windows start it seem there is no problem but on startup i cant understand all those beeps everytime i start the laptop.

hemant k

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
i also have the same problem which stezzo had . first i had this ----------------------------- problem with soni waio laptop, then after a year i bought a new lenevo laptop but still this same problem came after 2 months after i bought it, i really don,t know how to get rid of this problem , i formattted it 2 times still problem exists...
please help me if anyone having any idea about this.............

vicky taylor

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I recently ran into this problem. Thought oh great i have a virus...
then it occurred to me..... i have a wireless mouse and keyboard ... use the mouse not the kb. kb on a shelf somewhere... found it, moved the junk from the top of it , removed the batteries....
problem solved.

sub-optimal

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Stezzo, old Gateways will use F1 to enter bios setup

i had same issue on a hp nx9010, it auto inserted ''''''''''''''''''''''' whenever a document opened, plus in Word the OVR (overlay) setting wouldn't and caused massive :fou:
a fresh install and keyboard reseat fixed those issues

if beeps continue in no apparent pattern after doing those two things, and all systems check once OS loads, you've got most up-to-date bios and drivers, etc...
then i wouldn't spend $ on a keyboard, HD, or anything ... its a motherboard/hardware issue, gotta live with the beeps or scrap the mb

generic bios short beep patterns are like 2-2; 4; 4-1-1, etc... if its something wierd like 24-2-9, or 12-1-contionous beeps
then its motherboard failure i find most often, not fatal, just :pfff:

shahnawaz ahamad

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

Oladapo

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Aug 6, 2014
it is definitely the "." key i had the same problem but with the up key and it used to make the same annoying beeping until it reached the desktop it would stop .. remove d . key and clean it if that dosnt work gata change the keyboard..

nisarkoilandy

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014

Sonam Dorjee

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
while Beeping at start up window, Switch it off Directly and take out the battery than you Press the Power Button without the Battery and then Press the Power Button Without the battery 7-8 times.
Put the Battery back again, TAP F2 key once or twice. than you can change your BOOT Configuration to default ( It worked for me ) then RESTART DONE ( Would take Sometime )..:pt1cable:

mahathev

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

mahathev

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
My slightly more than a year old Acer Aspire 4740G working with Windows 7 suddenly developed an annoying loud beeping sound and windows failed to start up. The problem was due to a stuck key.
When I pressed the on switch, windows start with a flashing courser, shows press F2 for setup, displays Windows Starting and the beep comes on.
Leaving it for about 2-3 minutes stops the beep and windows start up normally but when restart the problem comes back.
I clicked up a blank MS Word page and start typing all the numerals. But when I typed the alphabets, the letter 'i' was not showing despite repeated pushing of the button.
SOLUTION: Very gently pull out the 'i' button with finger. Pull up the rubber flap inside the button hole and push it back in several times. Test it to type the letter 'i'. Note: Extra care must be used not to use too much force otherwise the plastic tab may break and the button cannot be affixed.
Replaced the button and restarted...the beeping stopped and PC started normally.
Thanks for reading.