Cooling for hole-less laptop

inkms

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
I'm sure hole-less is not the best word for it :)
My laptop is a Sony Vaio Fit14, it has a solid case, and the only exhaust is placed right in front of the screen. It has no air intake and it reaches about 76ºC (169ºF). I was plannig to build some kind of laptop cooler in the fashion of this
cooler-para-laptop-de-aluminio-airboom-master-ab-08-2fan-7cm-1450-MPE4752417648_072013-O.jpg

But I have just realised that with out any holes in the surface it could be pretty useless.
So the question is, do you think that trying to cool the plastic is a good idea or useless?
If you think it's useless, is better to let it be with those temperatures or is better to remove the DVD-reader (which I don't use) to improve the air intake?
Thank you for answering

Solution
A cooling pad for a laptop without holes on the bottom will still blow (or suck) air across the bottom. There are little things that keep the laptop up off the cooler, both on the cooler on on the laptop.

I tried varying the height between the cooling pad and the laptop one time. It turns out that increasing the height is bad; it increases the temperature. Cutting the height did nothing for a while, until they almost touched, then the temps went up again. So, put the laptop on the cooling pad and leave it alone. It will drop Your temps.

coastie65

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Haven't ever seen anything like that. Laptops generally run warmer than a desktop anyway due to the nature of those things. You can get a cooling pad to set it on if it worries you.

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
A cooling pad for a laptop without holes on the bottom will still blow (or suck) air across the bottom. There are little things that keep the laptop up off the cooler, both on the cooler on on the laptop.

I tried varying the height between the cooling pad and the laptop one time. It turns out that increasing the height is bad; it increases the temperature. Cutting the height did nothing for a while, until they almost touched, then the temps went up again. So, put the laptop on the cooling pad and leave it alone. It will drop Your temps.

Solution