Copying / wiping a "protected" hard drive.

Vladamir_1

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
I have an old laptop my school gave to me in year 10. I would like to copy the hard drive then completely wipe it, however they put locks and restrictions on it (i.e lots of blocked websites and cant open any .exes or install any progams. Any ways i can do this?

Solution
For the BIOS, you could shunt the two pins on the motherboard to clear the BIOS, and then also remove the backup battery. That should reset the BIOS.

Other alternatives if all you are trying to save is the data on the hard drive:

1. Remove the hard drive and then hook it up to another computer. Then take ownership of all directories and files on the hard drive. Then you can copy the hard drive to another hard drive.

2. Buy a cheap disk duplicator device and clone the hard drive to another hard drive.

GoneToPlaid

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
For the BIOS, you could shunt the two pins on the motherboard to clear the BIOS, and then also remove the backup battery. That should reset the BIOS.

Other alternatives if all you are trying to save is the data on the hard drive:

1. Remove the hard drive and then hook it up to another computer. Then take ownership of all directories and files on the hard drive. Then you can copy the hard drive to another hard drive.

2. Buy a cheap disk duplicator device and clone the hard drive to another hard drive.

Solution

P_Hoops

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
For copying, I agree with @GoneToPlaid. connect to another pc

As far as wiping it, boot up like any winows disc go all the way to wherever it asks "where do you want to install windows" and format and delete the media drive, reformat it to whatever windows requires if you want to install it. Also probably useful that you keep the same version of windows for the keys b/c their in the bios.
Or when you plug it into another computer you can pull up disk manager and format or delete the drive and reformat it from there.

If you have mac or linux i dont know...