CPU clock speed drops as GPU clock increases

Jul 15, 2018
So I typically play on PS4 so this is uncharted territory for me. I went home for the holidays and left my console in the dorms but I need to game so I'm trying to use my laptop for some light gaming. It's a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro - 1370 and it's really not built for gaming.
Intel(R) Core(TM) M-5Y71 CPU @ 1.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.4GHz (Up to 2.9GHz)
HD Graphics 5300
But I was hoping I'd be able to get something going, even 720p gaming at the very least but it's all so bad. Every game lags and stutters.
Anyway I'm using MSi Afterburner to monitor the system while I play (or try to) and I noticed that the CPU clock drops to sub-1GHz as soon as any game starts and stays there until the game closes then it's immediately back up to normal 2.6+.
Then I noticed that as the GPU clock gets higher, the CPU clock gets lower. Does anyone know why this happens and if there's a way to fix it?
I really just want any sort of gaming done even if it's 720,low as long as it's smooth and my PC as expensive as it was should be able to handle that.
Thanks for any help at all.

Solution
I'm thinking it's because the CPU and GPU are on the same chip. It's sharing power, memory and also cooling abilities. The system is only capable of so much. Not sure what games you're trying to play but that laptop probably doesn't meet the minimum requirements of any game in the 15 years.

drivinfast247

Proper
May 29, 2018
I'm thinking it's because the CPU and GPU are on the same chip. It's sharing power, memory and also cooling abilities. The system is only capable of so much. Not sure what games you're trying to play but that laptop probably doesn't meet the minimum requirements of any game in the 15 years.

Solution