CPU Spike and Audio Distortion When Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi all. I just got a new Dell XPS 15 for my birthday, but it has this nagging problem when streaming media. It will be fine for awhile, but then the CPU usage will spike to 100% and the audio will get distorted. I have noticed it happening when listening to Spotify and watching Netflix or Lynda (Been brushing up on After Effects). Its driving me insane and nothing I do fixes it. I changed the power settings so when its plugged in (keeping it plugged in for testing), there is no drop in CPU frequency and changed it from passive to active.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dell XPS 15
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Intel i7 2760QM 2.2GHz
8GB RAM
Nividia GT 525M

Solution
Do you have an anti-virus? Are you using McAfee? If you're using it, uninstall McAfee and try using like.. Microsoft Security Essentials for a while to see if McAfee is the problem (known to have those kinds of issues).

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Do you have an anti-virus? Are you using McAfee? If you're using it, uninstall McAfee and try using like.. Microsoft Security Essentials for a while to see if McAfee is the problem (known to have those kinds of issues).

Solution

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Installed MSE about 6 hours ago and things are running great. I haven't really tested the system other than watching a few shows. I will post in a day or two with results. If it keeps doing it we'll go from there...

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Personally, I use AVG, found it to work best. But what ever runs is okay. MSE is pretty basic security. But you shouldn't need anything stronger unless you want to do a lot of heavy web browsing. :D

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Yeah, as I said before. McAfee is known for that.. Just as long as you don't use McAfee, or some of those other Memory hogging AVs, you should be good.

As it says in your sig: Remember to select a Best Answer, even if its not me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.