Status
Not open for further replies.

CapsLockKey

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Wanting to know if it's possible to upgrade my CPU and to what extent.
Specs:
Toshiba Qosmio x305-q705
Windows 7 64bit

Processor and Chipset
Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology featuring:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P7350
@ 2.0GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
Mobile Intel® PM45 Express Chipset

I doubt the GPU can without a whole new motherboard, but if by chance it can here's the specs on that. My bottleneck is at the CPU right now though.:
Graphics9
PCI-Express™ x16 graphics subsystem, featuring:
o NVIDIA® GeForce® 9700M GTS, 512MB GDDR3 discrete
graphics memory, plus up to 1791MB dynamically allocated
shared graphics memory using NVIDIA® TurboCache™
technology.
o Total Available Graphics memory 2303MB (64-bit version)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Possible? Yes.

Where to find CPU models supported? on the Toshiba website, no one else can tell you for sure. You should be able to find a list of different CPUs that could have come with your laptop in the manual.

Disassembly instructions for your notebook? on the Toshiba website.

Where to get a new notebook CPU? I have no clue other than ebay or similar sites for used ones. And they will cost way too much for the performance increase.

John_650

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
I am currently writing this using a Qosmio x305 q705 in which I have upgraded the CPU to Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q9300 @ 2.53GHz 2.53GHz (Quad Core) and the GPU to the NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTX. I added the 2nd cooling fan, which necessitated constructing a shroud (used a coke can for that). While the cost was prohibitive in the past, I was able to buy the parts on eBay for less than $200 for both, the GPU came from Australia, The CPU out of Texas. While I was at it I switched the Hard drives replacing 2 1TB drives for a 4TB and a 1TB SSD. Then placing the CD/DVD in an external housing allowed me to place a 3rd Drive 4TB slim in the DVD Bay as well. I have since learned that it is also possible (though tricky, bus speed must match, so the memory is hard to find) to increase the RAM to 16 GB but at the time I did this, 6 months ago, I was relying on information I'd found saying this model would support no more than 8 GB RAM so that's what I took it to. This puppy had problems with overheating when it was new, so I was concerned a bit about increasing the likelihood, however at the moment my temps are: HDD0: 133F, HDD1: 124F HDD2: 109F Core0: 118F Core1: 115F Core2: 118F Core3: 120F and the GPU is running at 127F. Which is markedly better than when it was new! Running Windows 7 64 bit. So yes, it can be done. and yes, if you're still using one of these, go for it! I did have trouble with the large HDDs windows update for some reason replaced my extended capacity manager with intel's HD manager and cost me lots of time effort and data before I figured out what had happened and lot's more time figuring out how to fix it and reinstalling/replacing lost data. And, Oh yes, I also added a backlit keyboard, thinking (because I'd seen it elsewhere on the web, that the unused connection near the base speaker was meant to power same... not so, it's for an IR receiver! undeterred, I stole power from the leds illuminating the bar across the top of the touchpad (2 carefully soldered connections) now the keyboard illuminates and switches on/off along with the red led illumination (the button between the "speaker" (mute/unmute) and the "camera" capture/photo capacitive illuminated switches north of the function keys. All in all, I'm quite happy with the results!

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Unfortunately you cannot upgrade. Most laptops have their CPU.and GPU soldered into the MB itself , so you cannot upgrade anything its a locked configuration. Maybe , just maybe you're one of the few that bought a laptop with replaceable CPU/GPU , but even so , the chances of finding a CPU that old (2006).
Short answer upgrade your laptop.there are a lot of gtx 950 laptops selling for 500-600$. Grab one.

John_650

Honorable
Feb 13, 2017
Hmm... obviously you CAN because I'm still using the same computer I upgraded a year and a half ago, only problem has nothing to do with the upgraded CPU and GPU, I can't run windows update because it always replaces the correct driver for my 4TB HDDs with one that fails to support greater than 3,5 TB. So I would not put larger than that if you want to let windows update itself automatically... I'm in the tropics right now, and my GPU is running at 120F, the highest temp in the box right now is the 4th processor at 127F I am still quite happy with the results, runs faster and cooler, and with more graphics memory and speed. I would have to spend a great deal of money to match the performance I'm getting from the thing now. Definitely worth the time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.