Cracked my screen.

kat8838

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
I broke my Asus Aspire screen. In the very simple moment, what happens if I close it. Will that make it worse?

In other news, I love this computer with all my heart. Where does one purchase replacement screens? I have decided that this old dumb thing is gonna be a project.

Solution
Put all the make and model details into a search in e-Bay>Computers and Laptops section and buy a new screen.

Fish out a 2.5mm Phillips screwdriver, a needle and a bank card. If you have a magnet, it helps.

The needle is to pick out the little rubber plugs that hide the screws that hold the lid together; usually one in each corner. Put them on the magnet to stop them rolling away.

The bank card is to split the bezel away from the lid without scratching anything.

Screws hold the sub-assembly to the lid and some models have metal strips screwed to the screen itself on each side. Remove them all and add them to the magnet's collection.

When it's free of fixings, it's time to look at the back of the screen where the ribbon...
Put all the make and model details into a search in e-Bay>Computers and Laptops section and buy a new screen.

Fish out a 2.5mm Phillips screwdriver, a needle and a bank card. If you have a magnet, it helps.

The needle is to pick out the little rubber plugs that hide the screws that hold the lid together; usually one in each corner. Put them on the magnet to stop them rolling away.

The bank card is to split the bezel away from the lid without scratching anything.

Screws hold the sub-assembly to the lid and some models have metal strips screwed to the screen itself on each side. Remove them all and add them to the magnet's collection.

When it's free of fixings, it's time to look at the back of the screen where the ribbon cable connects. A thin brass strip needs to be parted from its mate to release that cable which is very fragile.

Reassembly is the reverse of the above but first, take extreme care locating that ribbon cable and clicking the brass bits back together.

In my repair shop, I probably do one a week. My first over ten years ago took over an hour but these days it's nearer twelve minutes so don't expect to rush the job.

Good luck.

Solution

kat8838

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Thank you for your reply. My replacement screen is arriving today and after your message and online tutorials, I am confident I can replace it.

Since then, as expected the black blobby crack is spreading. However, there is now a constant flickering. It started on the bottom quarter of the screen, kind of a greenish color, and is now the entire screen. Is this a problem that will be solved (or at least could be solved) by replacing the screen or is this something else?

kat8838

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

Thank you SO much for your help and advice. I replaced the screen on my own and I am quite proud of myself.

The magnet advice was A+, as those screws are tiny.

It took me about 2 hours...as I was being very careful. But the first time I tried, it didn't work properly, as I could only see a faint screen. I got frustrated and thought it was the wrong type of screen, but I took a breather, and did it all again.

It worked, perfectly!

I assume that cable wasn't snug enough, but regardless, the joy I felt was real.

Again, THANK YOU.