Crysis 2 to Have 'Best Graphics You've Ever Seen'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Guys, stop the console comparisons; totally different architectures and means of coding.

And again, the PS3 uses OpenGL, not DirectX. So no graphical API limitation there...

elbert

Distinguished
Hope crysis2 has a key multi-player feature that tops valves counterstrike. If crytek didn't learn this lesson the first time I fear crysis 2 will be a flop on the PC.

Valves halflife didn't have better graphics than its Quake engine. It was the key feature of counterstrike that set valve apart. Crytek must have a better key multi-player feature to win a pc following like valve.

tonewheelmonster

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]HappyBB[/nom]I thought the developer of Crysis is in a foreign country, no? It just struck me to see that even for foreign developers, they would use cities from the US as the main setting of their games. It's just a bit weird. If I am a developer originates and works in Japan, I would use cities from Japan as my primary locales.[/citation]

well... lets think about this. The original game involved AMERICANS, marines and such, as the good guys. The first game took place in Korea. I would venture to guess that they're in an American city because thats where you need to be to follow the plot line. just thinking out loud here

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Guys, stop the console comparisons; totally different architectures and means of coding.And again, the PS3 uses OpenGL, not DirectX. So no graphical API limitation there...[/citation]
It's still a third world graphics chip even if it is using OpenGL. So we PC people will continue with the console "no"-comparisons, thank you very much.

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
"some engaging fiction"

Crytek, I seriously hope you're not implying that the narrative nightmares which were Crysis and Far Cry could ever be called 'engaging fiction' with anything less than a smirk and a wink.

While I love what you've done with shooter gameplay and visuals, storytelling is your mothballed, 30 year old disco suit.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm really looking forward to playing this. I by no means have a video card that will play this maxed but I could only play Crysis at 1440x900 high, 4AA and still achieve decent frame rates. This gives me a reason to want to upgrade to a SLI solution. I know there are many that don't like upgrading but to me that's part of the fun of being a PC enthusiast. The fact that I can if I want to. With the consoles you stuck with what you get out of the box. What else are you going to do with your hard earned if you can't spend it on something love? I just hope they don't dummy it up for the consoles like they did FarCry2. That game could have been great but turned out to be a turd. I spent more time driving than shooting. And if I'm in Africa where the Hell were all the Elephants, Lions, Hyena, Water Buffalo, and Crocodile.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Graphics doesn't make a good game, gameplay does. If Crysis2 has good gameplay it will be worth picking up.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Whaaaaaa!! Developers are so damn lazy. Oh its so hard to develop for the PS3. Oddly the best looking console games are on the PS3. Like Uncharted 2, God of War 3 & FFXIII. Leave Crysis on PC.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
It does look good, but......I hate how when they show you pics they don't show you actual game play pictures with your health meter, map, ammo, ect. To me this is just pre-rendered storyline video from the game, no actual game play footage. Disappointing.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Crysis 2 to Have 'Best Graphics You've Ever Seen'nice!But I hope I will not need the "best grapic card I can never aford to enjoy the beauty!....>_<heard its min. is more friendly.. but how about the requirement to see the max on 1900x1200? 5970 CF?...;P...[/citation]
1920? I'm happy with 1024+4x AA....

hamitaltintop22

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I see some people are not happy with the original Crysis's gameplay. Well, I actually liked it a lot. There was a lot of variety with the 4 suit powers and really good weapon customization. In most FPS games you don't get anything close to that variety of different gameplay. In most fps you just run around and shoot. While in Crysis you still run around and shoot, but at least you get 4 diff. powers to run around in and shoot with weapons that you can tailor to the situation. People who argue that Crysis's gameplay is Cloak-Shoot-Cloak-Shoot should make the effort to explore all the gameplay options the game provides. Its not the game's fault if the player restricts his/her self to 1 or 2 suit powers.

NOTE: It seems that some people think that Far Cry 2 was made by Crytek. This is wrong. Far Cry 2 was made by Ubisoft with the Dunia engine (Not CryEngine 2). Crytek only made Far Cry 1 and then sold the name to Ubisoft.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Now if they can only make Crysis non-futuristic/fantasy/alien hooey. Really? Not everyone (especially adults) like to play games in a fantasy Doom/Quake-like setting with weirdo aliens. How about making a COD Modern Warfare type Crysis with realistic modern day weapons in REAL LIFE scenarios? Please, no more aliens attacking NYC. We have plenty of scary enough baddies like islamic terrorists out there wanting to wipe us out. How about a realistic FPS for once? See how well COD MW1 did?

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]it is a shame that since late 2007, no other company has pushed the limit... On the other hand, lets hope for a better future[/citation]

Heard of Metro 2033??

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I'd be disappointed if they was all.3x GTX480x2 in SLI (we can hope for a GTX480x2, can't we? And sixway SLI right?) would only enable the 'Enthusiast' settings, not the 'You're a goddamned Nazi' uber high settings at 1280x1024. Don't even consider AA/AF yet.If only. =DSome of us want something that'll rape even the best in the market.Crysis was actually pretty fun, but Crysis Warhead was boring. Far Cry 2 was as boring as balls. (Hey buddy, I got 10 fist-sized diamonds, what will that buy me? 5 more for a rusty old rifle, are you kidding me??)[/citation]

There are 2 things wrong with your statement:

1) There will not be a GTX480 x2... just like there wasn't a GTX280 x2. You will have to wait for a GTX485 on a smaller (32 or 28) nanometer process. A GTX495 that is composed of 2 hypothetical GTX475s sounds reasonable though. (In 12 months.)

2) You want 6-way sli. I have 3 words for you: Too Much Overhead. or: Lack Of Drivers.

Drivers only support 4 gpus right now (for both ATI and Nvidia)... and with good reason. Most games don't scale well past 2 gpus.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]And if I'm in Africa where the Hell were all the Elephants, Lions, Hyena, Water Buffalo, and Crocodile.[/citation]
All killed and eaten of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.