Crystal Reports - 'Database Connection Error'

mjmcdonagh1

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
17
0
10,560
0
Hello,

Not sure how many Crystal Reports experts are out there but i'm looking for a bit of help if anyone could so oblige!

Basically our Data Analyst/Crystal Reports Wizard/DBA/Oracle or Oracle etc left the company about a month ago and as she is yet to be replace i've been asked to fill in the gaps short term. But I know basically nothing about reporting/data analysis. So apologies if i'm just being dim...

Anyway - i've been asked for a report that is needed urgently and i've hit a snag. Fortunately the report they want is very similar to a report that has previously been used they just need Margins added on to it, but when i've gone to edit it I realised that a couple of the Tables it used no longer exist. So I removed these tables and added in the tables which replaced these (these tables have the same fields as their legacy counterparts) and added the appropriate links. When trying to run the report sat through all of the errors telling me fields had the wrong names and updated them.

Now that i've done all that, when I try to run the report I get two pop ups. The first says "Failed to retrieve data from the database" and when I ok it, the second appears and says "Database Connection Error: If tables are already linked then the join type cannot change".

It's Crystal Reports XI we're running and the report only looks at one SQL Database.

I'm completely at a loss here, so any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.
 

mjmcdonagh1

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
17
0
10,560
0
Hey,

After a bit of Googling I found solution to this!

Basically I was a bit to over zealous when linking the new tables. I made a circular link eg

TABLE1 FIELD1 - TABLE2 FIELD1
TABLE1 FIELD1 - TABLE3 FIELD1
TABLE2 FIELD1 - TABLE3 FIELD1

I just removed one of these links and it all works fine! Huzzah!

I'm not sure if this actually makes any sense or not. If not let me know, but this definitely fixes it! :)

Thanks,

Matt.
 

mjmcdonagh1

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
17
0
10,560
0
Hey,

After a bit of Googling I found solution to this!

Basically I was a bit to over zealous when linking the new tables. I made a circular link eg

TABLE1 FIELD1 - TABLE2 FIELD1
TABLE1 FIELD1 - TABLE3 FIELD1
TABLE2 FIELD1 - TABLE3 FIELD1

I just removed one of these links and it all works fine! Huzzah!

I'm not sure if this actually makes any sense or not. If not let me know, but this definitely fixes it! :)

Thanks,

Matt.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Apps General Discussion 2
B Apps General Discussion 2
G Apps General Discussion 0
C Apps General Discussion 2
E Apps General Discussion 1
Mike Andronico Apps General Discussion 9
Marshall Honorof Apps General Discussion 4
henrytcasey Apps General Discussion 1
D Apps General Discussion 1
K Apps General Discussion 3
M Apps General Discussion 1
BoostSoftware Apps General Discussion 1
L Apps General Discussion 6
X Apps General Discussion 1
V Apps General Discussion 1
B Apps General Discussion 2
C Apps General Discussion 1
M Apps General Discussion 1
M Apps General Discussion 1
mjmcdonagh1 Apps General Discussion 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY