Crytek: Xbox 720 Coming at E3 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]But makes a compelling arguement.No one is twisting your arm to buy this stupid thing, get over it.[/citation]

And the moral of the story is ?? Don't buy it when it's released and hold off while they stabilize it ? I'm telling you man, it's going to be 2008 all over again.

At least with a PC you are supposed to get under the hood, optimize it and continually bolt in the latest and greatest from the get go.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You mean the ones that don't exist anymore since the last 2 previous generational updates?Is this still 2008 or something?Marty McFly is that you?[/citation]

The previous post was supposed to be in relation to the above, sorry all.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]And the moral of the story is ?? Don't buy it when it's released and hold off while they stabilize it ? I'm telling you man, it's going to be 2008 all over again.At least with a PC you are supposed to get under the hood, optimize it and continually bolt in the latest and greatest from the get go.[/citation]
The moral of the story is, don't buy a console.
If you can afford the initial investment on a PC then get one, you will make back the cost of the extra outlay with cheaper games over the life of the initial hardware and will continue to save money over your console bretheren with cheaper incremental upgrades.

Oh, and when Windows 8 arrives, you should be able to migrate your Xbox Live gamer tag to the PC so you can keep all your achievements.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ronch79[/nom]What CPU will power the thing? AMD FX?[/citation]
No, they will use the IBM PowerPC like every other console uses, (yes, even Sony and MS)
If they go Power7 you will see some serious horses.

brendonmc

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Here's an idea..
How about an upgradable console...where you can change the graphics card, and the memory, and the cpu and even the motherboard....
Here's another
Lets try and hide advertisements in a bunch of replies on a forum page that nobody reads anyway....
At least use proper English next time.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Seriously....the console model has some big problems and will not survive much beyond the next 5 years.

The first problem is the competition consoles will face from pc's because of the integration of the gpu into the cpu.

At release a console represents quite good bang for buck in terms of hardware value, but now with the advent of gpu/cpu hybrids within 1 to 2 years of the console release ubiquitous budget level pc's will have more graphical power than a console. The user base of pc owners is far greater than that of consoles, people need a pc even if they own a console, so in terms of potential market for game developers the pc will be by far the better option to develop for. Also why would anyone buy a console with the inflated price of both games and peripherals when compared to their budget pc which could play the games at the same or higher level for cheaper.

The only way around this is for them to make upgradeable consoles. So they can keep pace with the pc. But that would in itself be somewhat self defeating as it would increase the console production costs and make them less competitive compared to pc in the first place.

The second problem the consoles face was something that John Cormack highlighted in a recent interview. He was basically saying that within the next couple of hardware generations the need for further improved hardware will be over. We will be at a level graphically where further development will not be perceivable by humans or at least not necessary for gaming purposes at the very least we would be getting into an area of diminishing returns.

So if this is achieved in the next few years with discrete graphics then within 5 years we will see the same performance in gpu/cpu hybrids at entry level.

So why would anyone want or need a console? People will always need a pc of some description and if the most lowly of pc is going to game at the best level of perceivable graphics quality why would they also want a console.

The only thing the console can do is to open up to do everything that people want to do with a pc....infact they need to become a pc........consoles....RIP.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]James296[/nom]yes, finally! there updating the stupid thing.[/citation]
yes, finally! they're ignorant of the meaning of the word 'there'. stupid thing.

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
IF the next xbox cant do what the new unreal engine demo showcases, then i will be dissapointed.THough i doubt it will be able to touch it.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Unfortunately there is something that the consoles offer that PC's don't offer:

Being able to have people over to play and hang out with. Yes, the PC, much like xbox live, has its own community and whatnot. Yes the PC is cheaper in the long run and more effecient and more powerful, but you can't really have your buddy(s) over and plug and play from the get go without the hassef bringing over all the hardware of another computer, much less setting it up and having space for it.

PC's can't do that. At the same time, I can call a friend up, have them come over and play a few rounds of BC2 on my xbox and just have a good time.

Convenience, more than raw power, is why consoles will never go away.

p.s. I would LOVE to see a console (xbox or ps3) with upgradeable parts, much like a pc, except with all the compactability and convenience of a console. You want better graphics for your game? sure! go out and buy a "graphics card" for your particular console (tiered in terms of performance and price much like all PC parts are now) and enjoy better graphics.

Part of the joy that PC's bring is the fact that you are able to customize it the way you want it, it becomes your baby that you grow and nuorish the way you want. Bring this concept to a console, being able to customize the graphics capabilities, cpu, ram, ect and you got yourself a winning combination.

heerobya

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
It'll be some kind of uber-fast quad core with tons of ram and probably dual GPU and a big 'ole solid state drive w/ blu ray.

In a year and a half, easily be able to fit all that in a 600$ box (remember they likely get their "guts" at factory price)

I just HOPE HOPE HOPE they don't integrate all the kinnect stuff, i could care less about motion gaming.

So yes, about the same specs as a decent mid-high gaming PC today. In the end, it's all about the architecture and how easy it is for developers to work with that will determine the quality of games and graphics it'll give us.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, gaming on console is more easy and convenient....but there is no reason it has to be....particularly when your gaming pc needs to be no bigger than a netbook then you would equally be able to take that over to a mates house.

Consoles are going to converge with the pc.....the pc can become more user friendly and portable like the console, the console cannot however become open like it needs to in order to continue to compete with the pc or it ceases to be a console.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
PC gamers need to relax, consoles can run games better with the same hardware a PC can because they are custom made for the exact platform, plus there is no OS/Anti-virus/etc to run. Personally, I am in no rush to buy a new console, my PS3 still impresses me. I was an avid PC gamer for a long time but now that consoles have decent online functionality, Im sticking with them.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Death to consoles, PC's for life. I own a PS3 and a 360, and both are a waste of money. That 600$ I could have added into my computer and made it a dozen times better.

heerobya

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I bet microsoft is looking to make the Xbox (next, 720, whatever) much more of a "home entertainment" device then a pure game console. They said at E3 that is the direction they want to go with it.

Which to me, means that it'll be looking to replace your home PC/laptop as the center of your multimedia experience. TV, internet, movies, music, pictures, games... I mean look at the new integrations with Youtube, the old ones with Netflix, going after Hulu, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.