cursor jumps around while typing????

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidNorman

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015

This (driver?) has been "driving" me crazy also. I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop, and I only use the touchpad. I don't use the keyboard "pointing stick", and I've never even had a mouse attached to this. I made two different changes before attempting to check my results, so I really don't know which one fixed the problem. I guess I'm not much good as a scientist. I should have checked results following each change. Anyway, the problem is gone. (1) I downloaded and reinstalled the currently available keyboard driver, and (2) I went into "control panel", "mouse", and I disabled the "pointing stick". Now the cursor stays with me regardless of typing speed. I typed a test document in Word, I typed a long email note, and now typing this I have no problems.

DocRocks

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
I'm running Win10 on a Lenovo Ideapad but using a wireless mouse/keyboard so I don't have the touchpad problem as others do. But ..... I installed Touchfreeze and voila, it seems to have solved the problem, at least for the last 10 minutes!! Many thanks to the original contributor who suggested it.

Rene_1

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015
I had the worsT experience with my PC - I could not type anything without the cursor jumping everywhere - I was so frustrated after 3 technicians tried in vain to fix it.
I took my PC to best buy and was ready to leave it there until they fix it.
The tech put my PC on the counter and said: "let's try first to clean the screen"
He did and IT WAS FIXED
I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT

singhrohit

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015

Mate, your solution is bloody [adjectives removed] ]awesome. Touchfreeze sort of saved my sanity.. Thank you!!

Arline

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

I have a Toshiba desk top and it did same thing This worked for me
click on open spot in task bar click properties
, Click start menu then customize .
go down list and UNCHECK open submenus that should take care of it

Bayousara

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015

I have tried every single idea....but here is what I did tonight, not sure if it will work for you.

Control Panel--mouse--buttons--button configurations--click on "switch primary and secondary buttons."

Select that check box to make the button on the right of your mouse the one you use for primary functions such as selecting and dragging.

You will have to get used to not using the left button for selecting and dragging, if that is what you use now. If you use left, you get other commands.

Be sure to select "apply" and "close"

Please post if you try this and it works. I am hoping I have the million dollar answer (or, maybe someone else has already tried this).

So here is the issue with this "you know you did not touch the pad while typing", that software disables the touchpad while you type. Meaning that if it fixed it for you, you were touching it, but since that program disabled it, it did nothing when you did. The issue in 99% of cases with the cursor moving "on it's own" is people hitting the touchpad while using the computer. The other 1% are actual hardware issues where the touchpad or trackpoing hardware loses tracking and floats the mouse around the screen.

Do you have a touchscreen?

Polly_

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

THANKYOU THIS HAS SAVED MY SANITY AND TOOK SECONDS TO DO!!!!!

solohoh

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
My erratic cursor was caused by a short circuit from a liquid spill. I replaced the keyboard ($10 & so easy to do) and saw the problem on the cable. Works fine now.

emy12

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I also had problem with the cursor, it was moving across the screen, I did everything i knew, i even did a clean install of win 8.1, but the same problem. I have D620
Finally i found this post and as said, i unchecked the hide pointer when typing, amazingly it worked for now.
Thanks

Etta__

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

My laptop cursor has been jumping around for months with Windows 10 that I installed last summer when Windows 10 just came out.

I discovered a fix....I cut some card stock, folded it in half and taped it over my touch pad. I have a Bamboo Fun pad with mouse and pen that I use all the time. But I noticed while typing my hands would touch the touch pad and the cursor would jump around. Frustrating to no end!! My cursor didn't jump around at all typing this.

[don't post your email on a public forum]

Joyce_RD

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016

THE PROBLEM IS ALSO WITH MY ANDROID PHONE. SO, NOT ABOUT THE MOUSE TOUCH AT ALL!!!

AND I KNOW I DID NOT TOUCH MY MOUSE PAD!!!!

Amanda_Shields

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.