cursor jumps around while typing????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne Stephen

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015

This is the MOST frustrating thing...and it seems the longer it goes on, the worse it gets. I downloaded touchfreeze and it WORKED! So gleefully happy :)

code48

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
Will try TouchFreeze, but I've noticed cursor movement seems to happen after some system event (document save, refresh, unsure what it is). And when that happens, the cursor automatically jumps to wherever the mouse pointer is. So I can be typing a document (even in Notepad) and be several lines or 1+ paragraphs below the mouse pointer, when the system event occurs, the cursor jumps to the mouse pointer, and then the text I'm typing suddenly begins appearing several lines above where I was (but always wherever the mouse pointer was left).

karengi

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

coldincanada

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015

I downloaded something called touchfreeze 1.1.0 from Google. I'm not 5. I know I didn't touch the Pad while typing. Iit is software not a hardware problem tried all the other DUMB fixes. Typed for hours like a pro. took 10 sec to download. There is a reason it's called Google earth!

shakurullah

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015

thanks a lot man for you kind help.

Joyful typing

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015

Joyful typing

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Wow my cup (or should that be beaker) is full and runneth over. Mega thanks for making available such a simple and quick solution to a problem that has been taking up hours of my time since my laptop had been in for repairs. I will be spreading the word

jonas1975

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I have had enough of this jumping cursor issue. Frankly I'm so disappointed with the laptop industry. The cause of this jumping is that the touchpad or mouse pointer is independent of the keyboard cursor. Touchpad are useful because you do not have to carry a mouse around. And yes, when you touch or click the pad, the text cursor on your word processor or form should move where the pointer is.

If the mouse/touchpad pointer can be programmed to automatically follow the keyboard cursor when you are typing, then this problem of jumping cursor will go away. Come on guys, please debug the standard touchpad drivers already! So that poets and the rest of us can concentrate on typing words. Just thinking out loud. ---Jonas

MoEP

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
Me too! For about two years i've been frustrated by my Asus X53E's random cursor movements while typing. So bad I gave up using the keyboard at all. I just installed touchfreeze and it seems to do exactly what I wanted. (Pity it cna't improve my typing at the same time.) I still prefer using a full-size external keyboard but it's great to have the internal one working properly for occasional use.

Now if Icould just get the multi-finger scrolling on the touchpad to work properly...

tddennin

Estimable
May 4, 2015

tddennin

Estimable
May 4, 2015
I just now realized my text jumping around problem. Took me nearly 4 mo to figure it out but not sure how to go about fixing it. This is what happened: I replaced the 750 harddrive in my Sony Vaio to a 1 TB drive. I then began having insanity producing text jumping. I went back to the computer store and they recommended change out the keyboard because there were a few sticky keys and they were convinced this was the problem even though I swore up and down that I did not have this text jumping prior to the change out of the hard drive despite a few sticky keys.

We then changed out the keyboard and still no change. So then the computer tech at the shop said to be careful to not touch the touchpad while typing so I did that and still no change. Now,here is the fix: I need to type with my fingers and wrists in the air without any part of my body touching the computer and then it works beautifully!!!! So there must be some interference produced when my wrists lie on the computer or possibly the weight on that part of the laptop. I think not the latter, however. I did note that one time I was wearing a bracelet with a large magnet clasp and that kept turning off the computer. So, wd like to know if anyone else has noted this phenomena. I have not turned off the touch pad but I am certain I am not touching the touch pad.

chi-stan

Estimable
May 23, 2015
The solution posted earlier by ur6beersaway is incomplete.
To solve:
Go to: Start>Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options
Click: Pointer Options Tab
Un-Check: "Hide Pointer While Typing" check box.
Click: "Apply"
Click: "OK"
DONE!

Allabarra

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015
I had this problem for years, then 3 months ago I unstalled Norton Antivirus. I did not connect the two, but the typing jumping around ceased to be a problem. Yesterday I re-installed Norton... and lo and behold... typing jumps around once again. Eugh !

mschuller

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Solved jumping mouse cursor indirectly. I don't have a touchpad so I hesitated to use the Touch Freeze Utility until I at least tried some other solutions. I have a Sony touchscreen All-In-One computer. The mouse jumping had been going on for years. Recently, Microsoft's Pen & Touch Pad Component started popping up when I typed and when I tried to watch a movie or play a video and it was sticking its head out a little at the side of my screen. Also mouse had become overly sensitive. Tried some suggestions to get rid of Pen and Touch and tried one that didn't work for some, but did work for me. I opened Services, found Tablet PC Input Service, stopped it, used the little arrow to choose disable. Pen & Touch gone and best of all, so is the jumping mouse cursor. mschuller

Bodyopus

Estimable
Jun 19, 2015

WOW!! That actually fixed my cursor in 30 seconds!!!!! Nothing else worked!! THANKS SO MUCH!

Ronnie Dio

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

This one :) Especially important that you pointed out that you must "uncheck" ´hide pointer when typing´

Status
Not open for further replies.