Custom Audio Project In The Works

Rikokoro

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Okay, so as my friends computer tech repairman I have been trusted with their laptops, devices, and gadgets multiple times. Usually when there is a hardware issue with some of the tech or the price to repair it is too high they will just go buy something else and leave me with their discarded items. This has lead to a small clutter of laptop pieces; entirely workable systems with minor issues here and there. During a garage sale of my friends, their older sister let me have an old stereo speaker with no system because no one wanted to buy them and I wanted to see what I could get myself into with them.

My end goal is to take the speakers and one of the laptop's and put it into a custom wall mounting chasis, and have it as a small media center for music in my study. Now I know some about computers, but I know little to nothing about stereos so I apologize for lack of information or miscommunication on my part. The only thing I know about the speakers are they are
-Two circular speakers (Small one is 5.4~cm diameter, Large one is 13cm)
-They are SHARP brand (Probably doesn't matter)
-6 Ohms
-Max 150 Wattage
-Power and Ground Wire

The quick idea I had was to just have a laptop charger plugged in as a constant power source and just mount the motherboard to the chasis back and then have the screen facing out with the trackpad below the screen for music selection. (I could take out the track pad in place of just using a mini wireless keyboard to save on design quality) My main issue is needing to know what I need to do between the motherboard to the speakers so I don't lose the quality of the audio. (Could be as simple as just attaching a male stereo jack to the bare wires and plugging it into the motherboards headphone jack, but I just want to be sure.)

Thank you so much for reading this wall of text and any info or insight and even ideas to improve or modify would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Most likely those are passive speakers from a mini audio system. They do not require a power supply since they have no amps in them.
The 2 wire connection is a plus and minus for the output of a power amplifier. The power amp would connect to the lime green audio outputs on your mobo or sound card. You can't connect these speakers directly to the PC. You need an amp. Could be an old one or a small new one.
Probably the unit they came from produced no more than 25-40 watts per speaker (if that much) so you don't need a big amp. You could built the amp into the speaker cabinet.
http://www.parts-express.com/amplifiers
Most likely those are passive speakers from a mini audio system. They do not require a power supply since they have no amps in them.
The 2 wire connection is a plus and minus for the output of a power amplifier. The power amp would connect to the lime green audio outputs on your mobo or sound card. You can't connect these speakers directly to the PC. You need an amp. Could be an old one or a small new one.
Probably the unit they came from produced no more than 25-40 watts per speaker (if that much) so you don't need a big amp. You could built the amp into the speaker cabinet.
http://www.parts-express.com/amplifiers

Solution