Daemon Tools or Winrar ?

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
hey guys
simple stupid question

WINRAR can open & extract iso files , so why do i need Daemon TOOLS for ?

i know what daemon tools do . but i dont see the point of using it while WINRAR can extract iso files .

SO SORRY I RUSHED & DIDNT noticed that i wrote this post on graphics & display

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Daemon Tools provides a virtual disk drive. It enables you to mount the disk image such that it appears as a CD/DVD drive. This is different from simply extracting the contents of the ISO and copying them to the file system.

DukiNuki

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
But winrar can extract iso Files & then you can use them install them burn them on discs . just wanted to know how useless is Daemontools when Winrar can extract iso files instead of mounting a Drive for it .

by the way i didnt know WIndows 8 can work with iso files :D

im so sorry i took your time by asking this stupid question

LEts make it ultra simple . i get iso file from somewhere . then i have two options

1.extract it with winrar & use it ( which i did before )
2.mount drive for it by daemontools & then use it

so whats the point of not using Winrar ?

Pinhedd

Distinguished

Extracting the files is only useful if the ISO contains a file system format that the operating system understands. Some, such as audio CDs, cannot simply be extracted in such a fashion.

Others expect the installer to be in a particular location such as F:\ rather than C:\Users\Administrator\...

These are mostly legacy problems, and most programs that ship via ISO can be extracted to the file system and installed as if they were packaged in a rar archive.