Darth Vader Announces Star Wars Sets for Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hokkdawg[/nom]Can't wait till this Torrent hits the 'net![/citation]

I hope for you it comes with a ton of viruses no antivirus can detect as of yet.

While I can at least partially understand downloading junk, you don't do it with quality stuff like Star Wars. Geeks, get him!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]I hope for you it comes with a ton of viruses no antivirus can detect as of yet.While I can at least partially understand downloading junk, you don't do it with quality stuff like Star Wars. Geeks, get him![/citation]

I can sense a new title on the horizon:

Star Wars: Attack of the cast on xbeater

G

[citation][nom]hokkdawg[/nom]Can't wait till this Torrent hits the 'net![/citation]
You are the reason why my company exit the PC market and almost collapsed.
You are the reason why DRM continues to cripple lives.
You are the reason why my 50Mbps line is throttled to 2Mbps after 2GB of data.

You, sir, are everything that I fundamentally loathe.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I can sense a new title on the horizon:Star Wars: Attack of the cast on xbeater[/citation]

OOPS my wrong, i meant Star Wars: Attack of the cast on hokkdawg

I was reading from Xbeater's quote and must have mixed it up, my fault..

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Just no, Unless it is shot in HD then it has no place on bluray, the quality improvements are marginal from 35mm film, even the decent transfers are not spectacular and very grainy.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]OOPS my wrong, i meant Star Wars: Attack of the cast on hokkdawgI was reading from Xbeater's quote and must have mixed it up, my fault..[/citation]

cry me a river, oh poor little mainstream media, so hard for them to turn a million $+ profit nowadays...

itookmypills

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]Just no, Unless it is shot in HD then it has no place on bluray, the quality improvements are marginal from 35mm film, even the decent transfers are not spectacular and very grainy.[/citation]
This was my thought. Why buy it on Bluray if you're just buying it for the sake of having it on Bluray and there is no noticeable video improvement?

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
+1 .alexkitch

Also beware the double dipping as this set may or may not include the "new" versions of the old films as an option.

As for quality transfers, you only have to look at the Wrath of Khan to see what can be done with old material - as long as you scan it well and put it through a good washer, it can come out great. Along with LOTR Extended on Bluray, this is the big one that everyone has been waiting for - the point being that this will be the definitive version to own without having to buy loads of others. I have been specifically waiting years for this - why would I waste money on the various DVD versions along the way?

emichon

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Futureshop has the pre-order for the Complete Saga at $99.99 Canadian (and $55 for each trilogy). So hopefully Lucasfilm just made a mistake :)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]itookmypills[/nom]This was my thought. Why buy it on Bluray if you're just buying it for the sake of having it on Bluray and there is no noticeable video improvement?[/citation]

UH.... you guys don't know the difference between film quality and video. Film, especially cameras as good that Lucas used in the 70s - have higher detail than SD-Video. Even the 60's Star Trek TV series, especially after it was re-mastered has benefited from HD/BluRay because they used film. Older TV shows shot with NTSC of course, gain nothing... and up-conversion is good enough.

For the most part, the Original Star Wars was already re-mastered - but they're most likely doing additional tweaks for the blu-ray format. Would like to see Lucas fix a few "effects glitches" like the light-sabers and some masks (you can see the actors eyes) - which would be SOOOO EASY to fix.... and correct the Greedo shoots first scene the way its supposed to be.

Hopefully, it'll include the original movie versions as well.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Sigh, another excuse for looting. First off there are only 3 Star Wars movies and Hayden Christensen isn't in any of them. Second, if Han Solo doesn't shoot first, it isn't Star Wars. I'm willing to be that this blu ray release is ignoring those facts. I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that the real Star Wars movies will be released on HVD in a decade.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
PS: Despite that it is cool that the actually got Darth Vadar to show. I've heard his speaking fee's are enourmous. They will likely only be challenged by Obama once he's thrown out on his butt in 2 years.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
And we have to have a Fox-tard here to throw politics in. Get your sources besides the foreign owned Fox-News, owned by an Australian and Saudi Arabian.

The GOP has done everything they can to cost us jobs. And day 1, they've screwed up.
1 - Two GOP congress idiots didn't show up to be sworn in, and they already VOTED on some things (votes should be thrown out, actually - they should be kicked out) - they were at a swearing-in party. Thats a bit deep in FOX's website, they don't talk about such things.

2 - The "$100 billion" they pledge to save is now (MAYBE) going to be $30~50billion... they "uh didn't know" when the budget cycle begins. Thats like saying "I thought the school year started on Jan 1st" - rather than Aug/Sept. Its their JOB to know these things. FAIL

3 - Repealing Health Care will cost the Country $230 billion... instead of saving about $150billion... so they're supposed to cut something else to pay for the loss, uh - they back track from that.

4 - FOX is not fair and balance, prove it... they are operated buy nothing but NeoCons.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]hajila[/nom]Sigh, another excuse for looting. First off there are only 3 Star Wars movies and Hayden Christensen isn't in any of them. Second, if Han Solo doesn't shoot first, it isn't Star Wars. I'm willing to be that this blu ray release is ignoring those facts. I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed that the real Star Wars movies will be released on HVD in a decade.[/citation]

R2-D2 is in all 6 movies, so yes - they are all Star Wars. Yes, it sucks and proves that Lucas is a great visionary - just a piss-poor director and so-so script writer. It would be GREAT if he would open up Star Wars for others to write and direct more live-action movies that run on a more faster paces 2-year schedule rather than 3-4 years.

Greedo shooting first is the worst thing ever. Otherwise, most of the visual improvements are welcomed, but I like the original effects too - so I bought the "original" DVDs as well. Again, Lucas should at LEAST fix the light sabers in New Hope, so they look great like in the other 5 movies. People do home-made effect light-sabers that look great on their PCs.... so why can't ILM do it?

Love to see the discs include the missing / deleted scenes... like the Avatar Extended set. We have YOUTUBE to see Biggs and Luke talking at Toshi Station (which is quite cool) in which his friends are basically getting high. I'd agree editing out the scene for pace, but might as well let us see more of the "star wars universe" that he shot.

Of course Family Guy's It's a Trap is a must see...

Status
Not open for further replies.