sugaray24

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I have a HD that has lost it's File System. My wife was doing work and the pc froze, so she rebooted. After that, the file system was gone. Normally I wouldn't care but all our family photos are on that hard drive. Does anyone know the best software I can use to try and retrieve those photos?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
thats is the whole point of repair, it just resets windows regkeys all your other stuff will be untouched, if you can repair it then you can get windows backup and all your apps and etc will be right there ;)

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Never used Windows Data Recovery, have you?:)

Its not that simple. :wink: It will fix Windows related stuff, all your other stuff will be there, just removed from Windows. You'll have to reinstall everything.

riser

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Boot to CD, go into Recovery Console.

You can try Fixboot or try Chkdsk /f if I recall.. all from Recovery Console. That might resolve your issue before you attempt to restore.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm not sure what you mean.

a repair is very easy, I was not talking about recovery ;)..

this person has not deleted anything, they are saying their XP won't boot, which means if you can get windows to boot then all their stuff is there, so a repair will do the trick.

recovery console won't recover their lost photos, and its fixmbr in XP fixboot is not XP ;)

OvalCorner

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
First off, fixboot is presented in the set of tools within the Windows XP Recovery Console. The command itself. It fixes the boot sector contained within the master boot record. Fixmbr fixes the whole record. This is what does the MBR.
Here's the list of resources available for troubleshooting Windows startup problems.
Here is the detailed guide to troubleshoot Windows XP startup problems.
Here's how to perform the in-place repairing of Windows XP. That's what you should be aware of.
A quick-step guide from Doug Knox on how to perform the repair setup.
The illustrated guide to fix computer that you can't boot.

sugaray24

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Unfortunately I still haven't been able to retrieve anything off the HD. Using the Recovery Console has enabled me to see that there are files and folders still present. Everytime I try to copy or enter a folder, I get an Access Denied message. Repairing the MBR hasn't helped the situation either. Now, I am also beginning to hear a physical problem with the drive. The drive makes a clicking sound at times. So now I know that there is a physical problem with the HD. At this point in time I just want to get my son's baby photos and my wife's school work. Has anyone every used diskprobe? Can a person download it?