Dead ASUS laptop

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Hi
Sorry if this has already been discussed. Since more than a month ago, after an attempted automatic Windows update, my laptop has been stuck in a perpetual loop; black screen, spinning dots. I've spent the intervening time scouring the internet and trying an untold number of solutions, none of which has worked for me. I work from home and am using my old ASUS but if this too dies, I'll be forced to buy another laptop. I'd really appreciate some help, thank you in advance.

I've just been reading the other similar stories to mine but I'd already tried the suggested solutions to no avail. There is no safe mode on my laptop. I can access the BIOS but nothing else. Am I the only one who can't fix this problem?

Solution
Hi all. I have GREAT news!! After following a YouTube tutorial (using command prompt) by the amazing Nehal J Wani, I now have my laptop back!!!!! After all this time, I never thought I'd see it normal again.

I hope that this can be shared to all of the others out there who have the same problem as I had. There are already many grateful people on his YouTube page, praising his great work.

However, I am also thankful to everyone here who tried to help, it was very much appreciated.

Love to all,
Christine and Maggie the cat :)

eriess2010

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Depends on the age of the laptop I would say. Most computers start to have malfunctions after their years and start to develop glitches over time. There might be a way to fix it but I think there's really none, time after time old computers aren't capable of taking on more updates and more resets that puts more charge on them. If there's a way to fix it then good for you but I would recommend just getting a new laptop since it might just break down again in the next month or so.

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thank you for responding. It's only two years old. I've found many many others on the internet who have had the exact same problem after the attempted Win 10 upgrade, and they include several different brands. My old ASUS laptop that I'm now using is roughly seven years old and hasn't missed a beat so far. From what I've read online, Microsoft is aware of the problem it's caused. What really annoys me is that I had actually disabled the updates but they were somehow enabled again. I was more than happy with what I already had & didn't want the update.

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thank you for your response. Please see my reply to eriess2010. The model is an X553M. Unlike older ones, the product key is not on a sticker attached to the laptop and I think I need this to do a new Windows install. I've tried a bootable USB to no avail. I'm not an IT expert and have never needed to be, so this is all very time-consuming and confusing. P.S. love the cat!

I'm afraid you're going to have to attempt another USB boot - I know you said it didn't work for you before, but it is pretty much your only option. My apologies in advance if the following sounds somewhat patronizing, or repeats something you've already done, but follow these steps:

1. Use a second computer and download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. This application allows you to select the Windows version that matches your license, e.g. 'Home' and '64-bit'. When prompted to choose between using a DVD or USB media, select USB. The MCT will then create an ISO file. You also need an empty 8GB USB stick

2. Go on the Internet and download a small program called Rufus. It's freeware and perfectly safe. It's not the only such program available, but it's fairly easy to remember and use. With Rufus you can now 'mount' the ISO file onto the USB stick making it a bootable drive.

3. Insert the USB drive into your 'dead' ASUS and follow the instructions. Make sure to delete and format any drive you see. If Windows Setup asks if you want to create a Windows.old partition, click No.

4. When Windows Setup has finished the initial stage, you'll see a count-down bar. Be alert and remove the USB drive the moment the count-down reaches zero and the screen goes black. This is important because if you're too late, the computer will register 2 bootable drives and go into an installation loop.

5. From this point on, Cortana will guide you through the rest of the setup process.

Modern laptops that ship with Windows will not have the traditional CoA sticker. Instead, the PK is 'encoded' into the motherboard. If you created a Microsoft Account the first time you opened your ASUS, Windows 10 will automatically activate your license during Setup.

If your ASUS is only 2 years old, it's definitely a Windows issue. The recovery features in Windows 10 are very unstable and unpredictable. Speaking from personal experience, I can say that using Reset this PC will either solve your problems or make them much worse - you just never know if this is your 'lucky day'.

You can't disable automatic updates in Windows 10 Home. You can designate specific hours when updates will install, so as not to disrupt your work schedule, but the feature is mandatory, and still quite controversial among users. If you use Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, you get a few more options and a bit more user control.

The reason I asked if you can be without the laptop for a few weeks is that you could try and contact ASUS and see if they sell a recovery CD or USB. Some manufacturers, e.g. Lenovo, will sell you recovery media, with prices ranging from $50 to $100.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your comprehensive post, which is not patronizing; I need all the help I can get!. Early on in this saga, I did download the media creation tool, which wouldn't work for me. I then read that it is was obsolete but it seems they now have a substitute. I've also previously downloaded Rufus to use in conjunction with the Hiren's boot USB. However, I will start fresh using your instructions and will let you know how I get on. I'm feeling a little more confident now. Thanks again.

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thought I should provide an update, even though it's not good news. I tried your suggestion several times but was unsuccessful. I read on the net that it used to work but doesn't now for some reason. I've tried so many suggestions that I can't honestly remember all of them but strangely by downloading a Windows 7 ISO, after a couple of attempts, I finally got the blue screen with the various troubleshooting options. I can't tell you how thrilling it was to see this screen after so long with only a black one! However, my elation was short-lived. It wouldn't let me refresh or reset my PC, or in fact do anything other than access the command prompt option. I then spent countless hours typing everything that I could find online but again nothing worked. I was however able to see the Windows update that caused all of this that occurred at 10.19pm on 11 November.

Today though there has been a new development. SOMETHING HAPPENED. I stumbled across a post from someone who had eventually been able to download Win 10 with a different method and for a while there, things were looking promising and my excitement was building. BUT the last time I looked at its progress, there was the one-line message "Something happened." Nothing else; no reasons, no suggestions, nothing. As with absolutely everything else on this excruciating journey, I Googled it and yes there are many others who have encountered the same bizarre error. Mind you, it has produced some very funny responses and even a meme! So today I had my very first laugh since this all started! But still I'm left with my comatose laptop (I realise now that I shouldn't have referred to it as dead ...). I seriously don't know what I'll do with my spare time if this is ever rectified; it's consuming a big part of my life, much to the disgust of the cat! Thanks again for the help; it is very much appreciated.

cmcnaughton56

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Hi all. I have GREAT news!! After following a YouTube tutorial (using command prompt) by the amazing Nehal J Wani, I now have my laptop back!!!!! After all this time, I never thought I'd see it normal again.

I hope that this can be shared to all of the others out there who have the same problem as I had. There are already many grateful people on his YouTube page, praising his great work.

However, I am also thankful to everyone here who tried to help, it was very much appreciated.

Love to all,
Christine and Maggie the cat :)

Solution

That is indeed great news! I am so glad to hear you've got the machine back on track. And YouTube can be a great help - often it's just a question of phrasing the problem correctly, and there's bound to be someone somewhere who has had the same issue.

Best regards to you and Maggie,
GreyCatz.