Dell 7577 with 1060 maxq or 7567 with 1050TI

hotasha15

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Hello there. Planning to buy a new laptop to make my games mobile. I was initially planning to go for the DELL 7567 with 1050ti and i5 7300hq(900$), but another refreshed model, Dell 7577, just came in with gtx 1060 maxq which costs 1000$ with otherwise similar configuration, but a lower capacity battery. Now I know max q is kinda new. Is the 100$ extra worth it? As lots of people are buzzing about having lower performance in max q models than the original ones. Which should I go for ?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop?view=configurations (DELL 7567)
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop (DELL 7577)

Thanks.

Lutfij

Splendid
If you're looking at eye candy then the latter model would be your best investment since it has an SSD onboard but the increased power draw would be a bad point if you're looking at battery backup/up time without being plugged in to the wall.

I'd suggest going for the GTX1050 equipped units since they cost less(by nearly 200USD).

graysonmvanlue

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Hey,

So with your options it all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. For the 7567 model you're looking at it's definitely gpu performance, as the max q 1060 in the 7577 model is a ton better (it has VR ability although it doesn't overtly state it, probably one of dell's marketing strategies to get you to move to alienware. its more expensive so don't) than the 1050ti. The 1060 max q has better gameplay ability, higher frames, more shading modules, etc etc. This video gives you a lot of good info on it: https://youtu.be/f0lXi9kkduM. You can also compare the specs of the mobile 1050/1050ti to the 1060 max q here: http://gpuboss.com/. In terms of pricing the newer one is expensive, but if you can find a sale (like a student discount of 150 on one of the mid-spec models: i7 (@ 3.8 Ghz), 16 gb of 2400 mHz ram, 1060 6gb max q, 1tb HDD + 128 gb ssd , all for $1,149) I would reccomend you use it because the specs listed for the sale will last you longer into the future, at minimum 4 years, although that could change as newer things come out. (but the sale ends on the 27th, so make up your mind relatively quickly).

Regarding your concern over the performance loss to the actual 1060 6gb desktop card, you are correct. The drop is about 10 to 13% (5-7% from the laptop (not max-q, mobile)1060 (yes there are three versions and it gets confusing)) depending on who you get your info from, but in terms of frame-rates that equates out to about a 4-6 frame-rate loss. This shouldn't matter because even with ultra settings this card can play many many games at 45+ frames per second which is respectable. If you want 60+ frames you'll probably want to drop it down to max, but this card is a beast overall and can handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

In terms of battery life, yes, the 7577 has a 56 watt hr, so it won't last you very long if it's in high performance mode, probably 4 hours or so (1.5 hrs if you're gaming off the charger), but if you skimp on your screen brightness and put it in power saver, you could see 6 to 7 hrs. As long as you have a chance to charge it at least once in the day (it features quick charging, 80% in one hour) you should be fine for a longer excursion, probably 10-15 hrs. you could also get a battery pack for it, which is an ok choice, you just have to pay for that separately.

Overall I would get the 7577 (the one with the sale specs) as you won't have to do any upgrading with ram or storage later on and it comes with a bonus i7 processor. You are paying a bit of a premium, but compared to other laptops of the same specs, this one is much cheaper. I'm looking into getting one myself, and the battery issue is something i've considered, but with the greater performance of the max q, I really don't see any other choice

Hope I helped,
Grey Mitchell

grandfatherclocker

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
I'm currently wondering if i should buy the 7577 as well, but listen: The 7567 is HEAVILY criticized for having a terrible screen, which is one of the main things the 7577 fixed. I would definitely go for the 7577 for that reason. A bad screen is just not worth the money saved.

graysonmvanlue

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

The bad screen on the 7567 has since been removed. If you look at Dell's website you should see that they have switched to the IPS panel, which is better than their former TN panel (if not there should be an option to upgrade to the IPS at a premium of +50 dollars). The 7577 shares the updated IPS panel from the previous model as a means to cut costs (one of the reasons why you see an Nvidia 1060 max-q going for sub-1500)

grandfatherclocker

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017

Oh, i see. So really, the only difference between the two is the lower battery-life, the size, and the different GPU's? This suddenly makes the decision a bit harder for me as well now...

hotasha15

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Well to be precise, 7577 is really amazing in terms of almost everything. But it's quite bulky (2.8kg) according to Dell personnels. Still I would have taken it, if a single store had it in US. All of them refer to only online orders at dell. Thats why, maybe I have to go for 7567 :(, unless any of you find some place to pick from store :/

Apr 8, 2018
I ordered the I7567 with the i5-7300hq and 8gb ram and ips display with the gtx 1050. But then a few days later Intel released their new mobile gaming chips and dell refreshed their gaming lineup to the G series.I am really confused on what to buy as i can return the i7567 and get the g3 when it comes out, but their will obviously be problems with them not getting everything pitch perfect. I am just looking to do day to day tasks, like school work and playing fortnite here and there. I am hoping this will last me throughout high school, which is between 3-4 years.... I will upgrade the RAM and storage over the years as it starts to slow down. should i cancel the inspiron order and wait for the G3 series which are an expected release in mid April ? I got the inspiron for 1080 CAD inclusive of tax. Hope the g3 is around the same price so the descion can be easier, please do help me out thank you.