Dell Announces the Inspiron Mini 12 -- Biggest Netbook Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Although not strictly about this product, it is mentioned as a feature and would like an explanation: what, exactly, is "hardware video acceleration". And don't just say "it uses hardware to improve video." Is this just hard disk caching or what? Exactly? (I've always wondered.)
Thanks. . .Bill Atkerson, Houston

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
This is exactly what I want in a netbook. problem is that it might cost just a little bit too much. The 10 inch models have reached 400-450. But in my opinion they are just too small to use for any significant length of time. In my opinion this is the perfect size.
Going to wait for to exactly how much it costs and I would like to know what this gma 500 can do but with any luck I'll get to pick one of these up next month.

G

1gb of memory just doesn't cut it anymore. Dell really messed up on that one. Luckily, the US15W supports 2gb, according to intel's spec update from september. what i really want though, is a 10 inch netbook, Atom Z530 and the US15W chipset. that would be a sweet little machine. Oh, and why not use a lithium polymer battery like Apple does so we can get more life out of the same size battery pack?? TRY AGAIN DELL

G

The US15W has littel to no linux (xorg) support. The Poulsbo driver is obsolete (7.3 xorg only). The VESA driver makes X runs at a very high CPU rate, killing the performance of the netbook. The libva which provides hardware support for MPEG family through the VA-API in the US15W is non included in most standard distros version of VLC, mplayer, etc. In my experiences, it runs like a pig, with the CPU around 90-100% continuously. A little help from Intel on the driver side would make the US15W with the PowerVR core a little more usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.