I have an Inspiron 1501 which, when I turn on (AC or battery) the four lights flash on for a moment and the fan starts momentarily, but nothing else. Black screen, only power light. No external video. NO BEEPS, even if I take out both memories. Ideas?
Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then see if it would boot up normally.
- Next is to reseat the RAM if using a different AC adapter will not work. Remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If these doesn't work, do check the AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try another AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up normally.
- Do also connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it or not.
- And if all these will not work the problem lies inside the motherboard itself.
Here are more troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Connect an external monitor and see if the display would be the same with it's built in display.
- If the display is normal on the external display that means it's the built in display that is faulty. If it's the same that means it's the graphics card that is faulty so a repair would be required to fix the GPU.
- What you can do if the built in display is faulty is to check the ribbon cables first that connects it to the motherboard and see if they are seated properly (both ends).
- If it doesn't solve the problem that means replacing the display would be the only solution.