Dell Inspiron 1720 Keyboard

Zedimere

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
My Inspiron 1720 recently started having some very annoying problems, one in particular was with my keyboard. My keyboard became completely useless and random letters and sometimes numbers would start being inputted, I first tried firmly and slowly pressing down every single key, then after a little while it stopped for some times, then it happened again, then stopped after that it happened a few more times and grew increasingly prominent. In that time I've done over 20 scans (8 of which were full customs scans) with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Essentials. Detected nothing except a few PUPS. This shenanigans is still happening, now to the point that I can't get past the login screen or even boot up in safe mode. The most prominent keystrokes being inputted are 2/bw. In different variants as well as the arrow keys and space bar. I've tried disabling and re-enabling my keyboard, restarting my laptop slamming my face against the keyboard (Sarcasm) yet it's still happening but little less since using fn+numlock. It also seems to be pressing ctrl. I'mnot sure what the REAL issue is but I may soon be unscrewing my keyboard to smash it over my head.

P.S. My language settings appear to be fine, I read that the language settings being configured in various ways could be the cause of some problems (as well as the f9/f8 key being stuck) but that does not appear to be the problem.

Zedimere

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

That may work, thanks for the great idea, i'll attempt this right away!

[EDIT]
*if I can find a suitable screwdriver or other such thing.

Zedimere

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
jarotech said:
Hi, remove the keyboard, put it upside down and tap gently on a hard surface, maybe some crumbs are under the keys, after reinstall the keyboard.
Zedimere said:
That may work, thanks for the great idea, i'll attempt this right away!

[EDIT]
*if I can find a suitable screwdriver or other such thing.
I managed to remove all of the crumbs from underneath the keyboard using a vacuum, leather-man and toothpicks. Thank you for the help, my computer is now working perfectly.

Thanks for the much appreciated help!

-Zedimere