Dell Inspiron 17R 3721 5721 "7 Beeps"

Dane_Dotcom

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
I looked at the previous threads and have now bought two new motherboards and installed them into this machine and I still get the 7 Beeps, pause, seven beeps etc. I've replaced the RAM. I've cleaned everything. What else could be wrong? It never get's anything on the screen, even hooked to an external monitor. Any help would be appreciated.

Dane

Solution
Did you reset the CMOS on these boards, in case they got some sort of static shock during transport? It's hard to believe that indeed, 2 boards in a row with the same issue... Did you test them without the screen connected?
Hello.

I'm sorry to say that 7 beeps means your CPU has failed. It is a CPU Cache test error. I guess you never changed the CPU yet?
http://blog.parts-people.com/2015/09/28/dell-inspiron-17r-5721-beep-codes-diagnostic-indicators/

Dane_Dotcom

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

Well, each motherboard has come with it's own CPU. The original was a Pentium, the next was an i3, the current brand new one is an i5. Both i3 and i5 boards are the exact new board with a new CPU. I assumed the i3 was defective and sent it back, but now that the new i5 board-CPU is also making the same beeps, I feel like the problem has to be elsewhere.

Then you simply have two defective boards... These boards are known to be defective and need solder reflow. You can always try reflowing the old one, or baking it in the oven and see if it works.

I'd first try swapping CPUs in case there's a problem with that.

Dane_Dotcom

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

Yes, I tried that with the first one but didn't want to do that with the next two since it would void the warranty. Thanks for the help though. If you think of something else, please let me know.

Dane

Did you reset the CMOS on these boards, in case they got some sort of static shock during transport? It's hard to believe that indeed, 2 boards in a row with the same issue... Did you test them without the screen connected?

Solution