Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 fan not working

stevenvw

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm looking into a problem for a friend. His fan on his laptop suddenly stopped working a few days ago.
He only noticed this after the laptop shut itself down twice (due to reaching the thermal threshold I assume.)

I ordered in a new fan, assuming that the problem was with the fan. I replaced the fan, but when I powered the laptop up the new fan did not start. I've tested it again with both the old fan and the new one multiple times, as well as making sure that the power cable to the fan was connected correctly to the motherboard.

Does anybody have any suggestions, ideas or know what the issue is and what to do about it? My assumption is that the issue is with the motherboard, but I would like to ask the community before I jump to any conclusions.

Laptop Info
Make/Model: Dell 17R 7720
CPU - Intel Core i5
GPU - Nvidia 650M

ShrikanthAtDell

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

Hi stevenvw,

Try turning on the system and see if you get any lights on the laptop. Could you please give me the adapter light status when connected and not connected to the system.

-ShrikanthAtDell

stevenvw

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Hello,
I can power the system on with no issue. All the regular lights turn on for hard-drive activity, power on light, wireless etc when the power is connected. When I disconnect the power none of the lights change. Additionally, the blue power indicator light on the power cord is on as well. Windows is fully accessible and usable for a short while.

ShrikanthAtDell

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

Hi stevenvw,

Does your system heat up more than normal. Please go to this link http://dell.to/1lTHx4p punch in the service tag go to drivers download and try updating the latest bios. You can find the steps for updating bios in this link http://dell.to/1pSVYTo

-ShrikanthAtDell

stevenvw

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

The system isn't heating up more than normal per say, it's just that the fan isn't working and therefore isn't getting rid of any of the heat.

I downloaded the correct BIOS update from the Dell Drivers website and updated the BIOS. After the update the fan is still not working.

ShrikanthAtDell

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

Hi stevenvw,

I would recommend you to try replacing the fan and see if it fixes the issue. Let me know if your system is still in warranty.

-ShrikanthAtDell

stevenvw

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

I know it's a late reply..sorry. Replaced the fan and nothing happened. The system is out of warranty. After the new fan did not work either I put the old fan back in. A few days later I turned the laptop on again and suddenly the fan worked for a few minutes and then cut out again. Since then the fan works at times and at other times does not work