bzand

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
Don't know if this is the right catagory but anyway, My Inspiron 2600 is lhaving issues. It has a 20gb ibm hardrive and a 1.13ghz intel celeron. It has a whopping 128mb ram. With win xp. The keyboards weird. Only certain keys work and they don't always. Iv taken the keyboard out and made sure the plug into the mobo is tight and its fine. However a usb and ps/2 keyboards work.(has both ports)Its anyoing having to have an external keyboard for such a slow system. Any ideas on what's wrong with the keyboard or any fixes or ideas to maybe help it.? Also while taking it apart a second time I managed to reck the cable connecting the mobo and display so now it only outputs through the vga port. Is the cable fixable or is it shot. The cable is an orange color with black wires attached. It is like a plastic thing so I don't think its fixable. Can you even buy that cable?(I wont just wondering) Also would a diffrent Os speed up the computer?. Windows xp was an awful choice for thay little ram. I wont be upgrading the ram so there's the 128mb to work with.

Infall

Estimable
May 27, 2014
Screen cable is fixable and in your keyboard problem I don't think its the cables on your mobo cause they were protected most probably the switches under the keyw (the one that sends the signal) are all used up after so many years of use so some times send a signal and sometimes don't . Just change the keyboard if you find another wich I don't know if u can do since its so old. Your monitor can be fixed yes just try to resolder the cables on that or you may just pulled it out so you can just open the laptop to put it back in.

Anyway I would strongly advice you to buy a new cheapest laptop you can find . I don't think it worths anything to try to fix what you ve got now you can find laptops from 200$ wich are 10 times at least faster and better than what you ve got now and I don't overeact on the 10 times.

bzand

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
Anyway I would strongly advice you to buy a new cheapest laptop you can find .
I agree on that no way this is worth aanything. The cable like broke in half hard to explain and its no soderable if it was I would. So if I take off the keys and say clean it they may work? Its notworth a new keyboard. I just wanted to use it as an extra maybe server I really don't know. I hate to see things go to waste. The display wouldn't really bother me if they keyboard worked a ln external monitor and keyboard us too much extra. I was thunking though a diffrwnt os may speed it up