Dell Inspiron 5520 running insanely slow even after fresh install of Ubuntu

dragon5677

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Okay from the top, before installing Ubuntu I had Windows 8 loaded onto it, suddenly the laptop started acting strange and every task became painfully slow, this wasn't happening when I had Win7, which had lots of data and all.
In fact, it wasn't even letting me log in- it was taking a very long time probably more than 15 mins
And this installation of windows was also fresh.

After this I installed Ubuntu thinking it may be a windows related issue. But now I am facing the same problems although the condition is slightly better. I am sure now that it's a hardware issue, but cannot pinpoint which component.

Your input would be highly appreciated.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, dragon5677.

This doesn't sound very good. I'd recommend that you backup any data which you can't afford to lose, just to be on the safe side, because this might be an HDD related issue. After that I'd suggest that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and test the drive to see if any errors or bad sectors pop-up.
You could also try the HDD with a different computer to see if the same thing happens, but do this only if the laptop is out of warranty, so that you don't void it.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

dragon5677

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Yes Boogieman_WD, I thought the same thing, that it may be an HDD issue.
I came to that conclusion because I checked the system with a different set of RAM sticks and also ran memtest. And if it was a CPU problem, the computer wouldn't even work.
I am planning on connecting a different HDD that I have lying around.
If the condition improves then...well I would know its the HDD causing issues.

I will mostly do this tomorrow.

dragon5677

leandromg

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I had the same problem and apparently everything pointed to the HDD, I changed the HDD and goodbye problem. It is my suggestion.
Maybe it is some other hardware problem, but look good to be the HDD damaged.