dell inspiron at risk, no network connection

mrss

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
I'm having problems with my Dell Inspiron 1545. When I use an adapter to charge I get three messages: a 'computer at risk' sign, a 'no network connection' sign and notification to replace my battery. There is no problem with our wireless connection because all our other devices work, and I don't see why a battery change is required if I'm plugging the device into an outlet. And I have no idea what to make of the at risk sign.
I'm an ignoramus when it comes to computers. Will someone advise me whether to do as instructed and change the battery or whether it's time for either a major repair job or (after 4 years) time to replace the computer, even though it hasn't seen much use.
---Thanks
MS

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
The at risk sign usually pops up due to a out of date or no antivirus software. Do you have any virus protection and is it up to date?

A laptop battery is usually good for about 2 years therefore you get the massage. You don't need to replace it if you don't use it.

Are you able to connect to the wireless with the Dell? Is your wireless enabled on the laptop?

mrss

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015

mrss

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
Hi Emerald,
My wireless is enabled on the laptop. I tried using the control panel to view network status and this is what I got:
"Your basic network information and set up connections: Unknown"
"The dependency service or group failed to start".

What does this mean?

thanks in advance,
MS