Dell Inspiron from HELL.. Need a few issues looked into

Mikestum

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Back Story:

My girlfriend bought this terrible dell inspiron 5547. They have been known to have hinge problems and of course it finally happened... The case is separating from itself when opened. So, I buy new hinges.. I go to install them today and realize that the plastic screw mounts (?) are actually shattered in the case on the right hinge. So I suppose it wasn't necessarily the hinge thats broken but the terrible plastic design.

Issues:

I can just leave the laptop closed and use it with an external monitor... except the laptop has to be opened to press the power button...

I could take the monitor off but the wifi antenna is inside the monitor. Taking the antenna out would make the monitor worthless with no resell value.

Is there any kind of USB dongle that can act as a power on button? This would solve ALL my problems...

Thanks everyone!

Solution
There will likely be 2 leads on the power switch. You can continue them in parallel to the new switch. Try to match up the gauge (thickness) of the original wires (shouldn't be much). Make sure your connection doesn't touch anything it shouldn't. Use the soldering iron to melt a nice lil round slot out of the plastic housing, and super glue it ! Voila !!

dudio

Admirable
I've never tried this myself, but you sound like you have a clue (you opened the laptop far enough to get at the hinges, right?).
Can you not buy a simple switch from an electronic store (the power switch is a very simple push on/instant off, not a toggle) and wire it in to the original switch and mount it on the side of the laptop body? Are you comfortable with doing that kind of procedure?

dudio

Admirable
There will likely be 2 leads on the power switch. You can continue them in parallel to the new switch. Try to match up the gauge (thickness) of the original wires (shouldn't be much). Make sure your connection doesn't touch anything it shouldn't. Use the soldering iron to melt a nice lil round slot out of the plastic housing, and super glue it ! Voila !!

Solution