Dell Inspiron mini 1018 some dumb questions

Blitz Blitz

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Hi, I have some questions, about this old budget girlfriends netbook.
1) I disassembled this netbook with idea to remove old thermal paste, but I found something like thermal tape. Should I do something?
2) There is legal windows code on netbook, how to properly get installation cd, install and register windows?

Solution
1. Thermal tape is fine for a netbook as it's really intended for low-heat components, and a netbook's CPU is a perfect example. As long as the thermal tape isn't damaged in any way, go ahead and leave it on there. Otherwise, removing the tape and applying paste will work.
2. The way I know of no longer works as Microsoft has taken down the necessary files. You could install the latest build of Windows 10 Insider Preview (64-bit possible w/ 2GB RAM) and use the prerelease product key Microsoft provides to everyone. Once Windows 10 is officially released on July 29th to people running the preview, you can put in your product key and get a free upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

voltoid27

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
1. Thermal tape is fine for a netbook as it's really intended for low-heat components, and a netbook's CPU is a perfect example. As long as the thermal tape isn't damaged in any way, go ahead and leave it on there. Otherwise, removing the tape and applying paste will work.
2. The way I know of no longer works as Microsoft has taken down the necessary files. You could install the latest build of Windows 10 Insider Preview (64-bit possible w/ 2GB RAM) and use the prerelease product key Microsoft provides to everyone. Once Windows 10 is officially released on July 29th to people running the preview, you can put in your product key and get a free upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Solution