Dell laptop browsers crash/task bar issue

Jmraulak

Prominent
Feb 8, 2017
Hi all, recently purchased dell inspiron laptop running windows 10. All worked fine until recently. Laptop starts and boots fine but both google chrome and Microsoft edge (only 2 browsers installed) crash immediately and freeze upon startup the home page won't even load it freezes so fast. I've tried reinstalling several times no help. Also having a strange task bar issue. It works fine at first when I start it up then all of a sudden it just stops registering like its not there. Can't click windows button or any pins. No idea what could cause both these issues I'm stuck. Any help is much appreciated!

Try starting up the laptop in "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if you get the same issues. If you don't, then you may well have a virus, malware, bad browser add-on, etc., on the laptop. If that is the case you will need to run a few (one is never enough) antivirus, malware, etc., scanning and removing software.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Try starting up the laptop in "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if you get the same issues. If you don't, then you may well have a virus, malware, bad browser add-on, etc., on the laptop. If that is the case you will need to run a few (one is never enough) antivirus, malware, etc., scanning and removing software.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Laptop Tech Support 4
tenentegre Laptop Tech Support 6
L Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 2
J Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 2
K Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 8