dell laptop charging led on, but power button wont on

terrance511

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
dell vostro 5480
3 led, 1 power, 1 battery, 1 hddr/w

plug in cord, battery led light on, pressed power button, no response, wont start up, power led no light

tried method:
the old remove battery 30sec power pressing release static charge
tried turn on with or without ram, clean slot with rubber.

any other method i could try?

Solution
Well, if it will charge now, while it is off, then the charger may be the problem. They often will not run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time if the charger are going bad/damaged. Now if the laptop still won't charge the battery, even when the device is off, then the battery is the likely problem.

In the case of a laptop not getting power/seeming to work, when the battery is out, well some laptops won't work if their battery isn't in.
Try testing the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop. You may also want to try charging it when the device is off, rather than on. If it works then, the cord is probably the issue.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

terrance511

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
hi, the cord plugged in and then the battery led on, doesn't this means it's charging?

btw, the battery is in the laptop, i had to unscrew everything and remove it manually, once i remove the battery connector, the charging no wonder working after i plug in the power cord. what does this meant.

Well, if it will charge now, while it is off, then the charger may be the problem. They often will not run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time if the charger are going bad/damaged. Now if the laptop still won't charge the battery, even when the device is off, then the battery is the likely problem.

In the case of a laptop not getting power/seeming to work, when the battery is out, well some laptops won't work if their battery isn't in.

Solution