Dell N5110 No Display

edward.forbes

Prominent
Nov 24, 2017
Hello

I just received a new motherboard for my Dell N5110.

However I appear to be having some issues. The computer will power up but the screen remains black.

When I press the start button it sounds as though it is starting up but it doesn't boot properly and it goes quiet after a few seconds. The screen stays completely black. The three lights on the keyboard do light up in a sequence.

They light in the following sequence:
Left
Middle
Right
Middle
Left (Stays On)
Middle (Stays On)
Right (Stays On)
They all stay on for a second together and then all turn off completely.

The left and right lights on the front left of the laptop are also both on constantly.

Once the computer is on, when I press on switch the computer turns off instantly without any shutdown process.

Troubleshooting:

Verified no physical damage to parts
Display screen is also new
Pressing F8 or F12 during start produces no results
Removed power from the laptop
Removed cables
Removed batter
Held power button for 90 seconds
Let go power
Battery back in
Power plugged back in
Restarted device
No change
Tested with External monitor
No display on external monitor
Swapped ram
No change
Disassembled machine cleaned parts with compress air and reassembled
No change

any ideas?

Solution
If there is no display on the external monitor then it probably the GPU. IF they just replaced the motherboard (who ever they is) I would be contacting them about the problem as they may have messed something up or given you a defective part. If it was you that did the work to replace it, then I would really think the part is defective.
If there is no display on the external monitor then it probably the GPU. IF they just replaced the motherboard (who ever they is) I would be contacting them about the problem as they may have messed something up or given you a defective part. If it was you that did the work to replace it, then I would really think the part is defective.

Solution