Dell Precision M6400 fans revving repeatedly.

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015
Out of the blue today the fans on my dell started revving nonstop, and I mean multiple revs per second. All of my temps are normal, and there is no excess system resource usage to speak of. I don't think it's fan failure since it sounds like both fans are doing it. Not only is it concerning sounding, it's also horrendously aggravating to listen to.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
gpu will do that if the power from the power supply starts going south. your seeing the gpu reboot and the firmware on the card trying to see the fans and set them to a default speed. if it not power issue then the fan controller on the gpu has gone bad and lost the fan teck speed. to see if it hardware issue remove the video drivers...reboot and reinstall with the last drivers for your hardware. if the error still there see what msi afterburner does when you set the fan speed with msi afterburner do the fans still go crazy. also use hardware info set it to logging and sensor to keep reading the 12v rail output make sure it holding.

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

I have a spare fan for the GPU I can try and see if that is indeed the case, I just found it rather strange that both fans would suddenly go out at the same time. They're actually revving in sync, so I thought it may be something other than hardware.
Also it's 8 years old, so there's no hope with warranty or dell support, been there tried that.

Derpyholic030

Estimable
Feb 22, 2015

The problem is the fans aren't going to 100% speed, they're ramping up and down rapidly multiple times per second.

gpu will do that if the power from the power supply starts going south. your seeing the gpu reboot and the firmware on the card trying to see the fans and set them to a default speed. if it not power issue then the fan controller on the gpu has gone bad and lost the fan teck speed. to see if it hardware issue remove the video drivers...reboot and reinstall with the last drivers for your hardware. if the error still there see what msi afterburner does when you set the fan speed with msi afterburner do the fans still go crazy. also use hardware info set it to logging and sensor to keep reading the 12v rail output make sure it holding.

Solution