DELL Precision M6800 Power issues

pbird25

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
Hi All,
I have a Dell Precision M6800 that has developed an intermittent power problem.
I have my laptop switched on, when I move from for example my desk to a meeting room, some times when I put the laptop down no matter how gentle, at the point I place the laptop down it goes in to reboot.
Any help would be grefuult appreciated.

Solution

Sounds like a poor connection between the systems battery and the system board / chassis connection pins themselves. I suggest checking for any chassis damage or chips to the battery plastics.

If the system reacts the same way while connected to an AC adapter as well though, the problem could be the result of an internal hardware failure, possible a loose cable or stray screw in the system causing a...

DELL-Shawn B

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014

Sounds like a poor connection between the systems battery and the system board / chassis connection pins themselves. I suggest checking for any chassis damage or chips to the battery plastics.

If the system reacts the same way while connected to an AC adapter as well though, the problem could be the result of an internal hardware failure, possible a loose cable or stray screw in the system causing a short. If you comfortable doing so it may be worth opening the system to check in these situations. Check out the below for instructions before working inside the system.

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M6800 Owner's Manual
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-m6800-workstation/diagnose

Solution

tomicjr

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015

I was experiencing the identical issue with a Dell Precision M4800. It operates reliably while on docking station or AC/DC power adapter connected. I originally thought it was the motion that was causing the frustrating shutdowns, and had tried disabling the ST Micro Free Fall sensor in BIOS and Windows - which didn't help.

In the BIOS events, there were entries with the same timestamp for "Battery removed" and "ASF2 force off"

Dell support chat was very helpful and pointed me to the connection between the battery and system.

Sure enough, I could reproduce it every time!

1. Shutdown M4800 and removed from docking station.
2. Removed battery and connected to AC/DC adapter.
3. Powered up. 100% stable operation.
4. Inserted battery and removed AC power.
5. Barely press on the battery and instant shutdown!

When running solely on battery, and the laptop is moved, the rubber foot which is on the battery causes it to move away from chassis enough to result in the panic/shutdown.

I am hopeful that a replacement chassis and MB will resolve the issue!

pbird25

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
Hi All,

Just a quick update, Problem finally appears to be resolved.
Two weeks ago Dell replaced the Battery frame, Battery and Motherboard under warranty.
All appears fine so far.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

tomicjr

Estimable
Aug 26, 2015

Dell was confident that replacing the motherboard and main chassis would resolve the issue suspected to be due to tolerance issues with battery (battery was not under warranty, and not eligible to be replaced. Health and capacity are fine, but contacts on battery may be the culprit.)

Unfortunately, this brain transplant by the Dell (Unisys) on-site Tech did not resolve the issue.

Solution: The Tech bent the contacts to preload and exert more pressure. This simple fix resolved the issue 100%!

StillNotProvided

Estimable
Oct 23, 2015
I have experienced this issue as well. I noticed that Dell has released BIOS version A15 which includes the following fix notation:

Fixes:

• ■ Addressed AMT loses connection without MEI driver
    ■ Fixed one key of German Keyboard returns incorrect key value.
    ■ Fixed USB Exposed Port System Test issue of Win 10.
    Addressed Laptops will intermittently reboot if picked up, moved, or set down near the battery.

See: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=530JG&fileId=3491089948&osCode=W764&productCode=precision-m6800-workstation&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI