Dell venue 11 pro: Haswell or wait for broadwell in tablets ?

Josh French

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
I was looking at the Dell venue 11 pro due to it's 4G lTE capability on AT&T and was wondering if i should go with the Atom version with 2 GB RAM & 9 hours of BATT life or if i should go with the 4th gen i3 with 6 hours of batt life & 4 GB of ram or just wait for broadwell all together? Please keep in mind that the atom addition has only windows 8.1 with 32 bit os while the i3 has a 64 bit os. And it needs to have 4G LTE! After all it is a tablet right!

Solution
Broadwell will be a die shrink of Haswell (down to 14nm) so that should help improve battery life due to the expected lower power consumption. CPU performance will likely get a small increase (3% - 5%). I think the biggest improvement will be the integrated graphics (iGPU).

I have seen some general statements that iGPU performance may be increased by up to 40% depending on the exact CPU model. It would be natural that tablets will be using the ultra low voltage CPUs which means less of an overall iGPU performance increase, but still an increase nevertheless. The highest iGPU performance will be reserved for the high end (and high powers draw) CPUs with Iris / Iris Pro.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
First off the Venue 11 Pro does not have 4G LTE capability, I do not know where you are getting this information from. They are currently Wifi only, and there is nothing on Dell, AT&T, or Sprint's website that confirms this. The 8" Atom units are going to have a much more improved version of Bay Trail sometime this year or next year, and those may have 4G LTE capability, but that remains to be seen. The 11" units will probably be going to Broadwell, whether that improves battery life and adds features also remains to be seen.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

It just means that you can use a mobile 4G hotspot device or connect to Wifi. It does not mean that they have models that accept SIM cards to allow you to connect to 4G networks.

Josh French

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014

completely disagree!

http://www.dell.com/us/p/tablets-touch.aspx?ref=tile2#!tablets-windows

read the fine print down by the bottom of the page

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Seriously, I agree with you there! The Surface Pro 2 is an awesome device and having 4G on the thing I think it would outsell the iPad.

Broadwell will be a die shrink of Haswell (down to 14nm) so that should help improve battery life due to the expected lower power consumption. CPU performance will likely get a small increase (3% - 5%). I think the biggest improvement will be the integrated graphics (iGPU).

I have seen some general statements that iGPU performance may be increased by up to 40% depending on the exact CPU model. It would be natural that tablets will be using the ultra low voltage CPUs which means less of an overall iGPU performance increase, but still an increase nevertheless. The highest iGPU performance will be reserved for the high end (and high powers draw) CPUs with Iris / Iris Pro.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS