tfzscvang

Estimable
May 24, 2014
Hey Guys,

I just recently purchased an XPS 13" 9333 (13ULT-7144SLV). The laptop has the following specs:

i7-4510U CPU
8GB RAM
256 SSD
Running Windows 8.1

I was just curious as to why the CPU, when under full load, is capped @ 75% utilization (speed @ ~1.95 GHz) when the laptop is running on battery, but then when i plug in the laptop (meaning it is charged) and the system is under full load, the CPU is able to be utilized 100% (speed @ ~2.6 or higher)?

Is there any way i can change this so that regardless of being plugged in or not, i will be able to utilize the CPU @ 100%? I have tried messing with the "Advanced Power Options" > "Processor Power Management" settings but have not been able to get around this issue.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
If you don't have the turbo speed enabled, dig into some more options. You may need to check the BIOS and also Dell support for the laptop as to exactly where to look. Set the power options to full power under battery, look in BIOS for speed options.
If you don't have the turbo speed enabled, dig into some more options. You may need to check the BIOS and also Dell support for the laptop as to exactly where to look. Set the power options to full power under battery, look in BIOS for speed options.

Solution