Dell XPS 15 Thoughts

ramalpan

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I was thinking about getting the dell XPS 15 (I have a few coupons I can use). What are all of your thoughts on the newest XPS 15?

Currently I have a gigabyte p34gv2 but lately I've been having motherboard issues after the gigabyte service messed things up during a repair (they won't fix it since its out of warranty and I have no way to prove it).

My gigabyte has an 860m while the dell has a 1050. How do the graphics cards compare? I'm moving away from a gaming laptop as I start med school soon so overpowering graphics performance is not needed. The only game I play often is world of warships

Solution
The GTX 1050 is basically equal to the GTX 965m which should probably represent a 25% - 30% improvement over the GTX 860m off the top of my head.

As for the new Dell XPS 15 itself I like it though I do not have one myself. Both the new and old Dell XPS 15 with the i5-6300HQ + GTX 960m has received very good reviews. If I remember correctly, with the standard battery, the Dell XPS 15 is capable of getting 8 hours of battery with "average" usage. "Average" varies from person to person, but that excludes playing games. There is an option for a larger battery (84WHr I think) with about a 12 hour battery life. However, it also occupies the empty space where a 2.5" drive would normally be. That means you would be limited to only the m.2 port...
The GTX 1050 is basically equal to the GTX 965m which should probably represent a 25% - 30% improvement over the GTX 860m off the top of my head.

As for the new Dell XPS 15 itself I like it though I do not have one myself. Both the new and old Dell XPS 15 with the i5-6300HQ + GTX 960m has received very good reviews. If I remember correctly, with the standard battery, the Dell XPS 15 is capable of getting 8 hours of battery with "average" usage. "Average" varies from person to person, but that excludes playing games. There is an option for a larger battery (84WHr I think) with about a 12 hour battery life. However, it also occupies the empty space where a 2.5" drive would normally be. That means you would be limited to only the m.2 port for storage.

Solution

wormer

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
Has anyone actually used it in the end?
I have a soft spot towards an XPS model (on the account of owning two of them in the past) and have second thoughts due to the present model having too much of a thin design. I'm simply worried it'll overheat when playing something on high res.

Would appreciate any input from personal use.

Thanks,

A.

If you are planning on playing games in resolutions higher than 1080p as the gpu is not strong enough. It is more designed for Pro apps. I would look at the alienware range if you want to game.

wormer

Estimable
Oct 8, 2015
No, not planning on anything above 1080p, 15" display.
Plus, I'm ordering it to a country without strong support for other brands (like Asus, Razer...) thus Dell is my goto brand.

xyberz

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017

I just purchased the newest model, the 9560 with the 1080P display. I've viewed YouTube reviews saying that this laptop with the new Kaby Lake i7 CPU is really good at keeping cool. More than comfortable on your lap even while gaming as much as the system can handle. Now, keep in mind this ISN'T the top end gaming laptop, even in this price range. What you are paying for and getting is a great overall system with one of the best build quality laptops around. You get great weight, thickness, materials, overall great package. The battery life on this laptop, assuming you buy the one with the 97whr, is amazing. If you pair it up with the 1080P IPS display, it'll get you 10+ hours of real world usage. The site advertises an absurd 19hrs but I'm assuming you lower everything to the bare minimum with power saving enabled.

If you're a hardcore gamer, yes there are much better options in the same price range. BUT you will sacrifice things like weight, build materials, thickness, etc.

So in the end, it really depends on what is most important to you. I just paid almost $1700 for my XPS and I believe I'll be happy with it. I'm gonna splurge a little and max out the memory with some high end, most likely Corsair Vengence RAM.

I don't game much, it'll be for 3D parts design, video/picture editing, and possibly some GTA 5 (which this laptop handles easily at 60FPS).

Hopefully this helps you some.