Dell XPS 17 L702x battery draining quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

fistofmetal

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
For starters, this laptop is at least 5-6 years old. it has aged well and still keeps up with nearly everything, just not battery life.
so about 2 years ago i purchased a horrid battery replacement which was a chinese rip off of a Dell battery. that never lasted long. But recently i seeked out another replacement off eBay which is a genuine battery and i'm having similar problems. it lasts longer than the other battery did, (which in the end was a maximum of 15 seconds. enough to run to a wall plug) so about half an hour max.
i don't want to doubt that it would be another dud, i'm open to the idea. But, i don't want to believe that. it IS an old laptop and who knows what is actually going on. it's not a software issue, it doesn't matter if i run ubuntu or Windows.

thanks, any advice would be appreciated

Yeah, that's the problem with replacement batteries that are not genuinely from Dell. Genuine batteries are expensive and due to the age of the laptop, I doubt there are any that can be bought which are fully functional. Even new unused batteries may have very short battery life if it has been laying around for years.

fistofmetal

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

so you think it's just an old battery thing? no problems with the laptop?
i'd really love to purchase a genuine dell battery that lasts a proper length of battery life, but i can't seem to.
This current one i bought was a genuine one. i believe so, as it was advertised as one and looks exactly like my original genuine one that also went flat so this is my 3rd. but at the end of the day, maybe its not.
alright, thanks you for your input jaguarskx

Hossain_1

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
I have got exactly the same issue. I bought two batteries from Ebay from different sellers and they look geniune but as yours they last for 15 seconds to half an hour max. The laptop does not find any issue with the battery and it says it is 100% charged. I am not going to spend $150 for a new battery. I am using this 24/7 plugged.

Hossain_1

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
By the way the battery is not drained when I unplug it. When I plug it back and start my laptop, it shows it is fully charged. I believe the fake batteries cannot provide the needed current by the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.