stonypebbles

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Hi guys,

I recently bought the XPS 9560 (e-value: Z511296AU) and have been mostly using it mostly for uni and assignments. I read that the GTX 1050 built in the laptop was able to run Overwatch with benchmarked FPS at ~59fps if not more. So I ran Overwatch on the laptop and assumed that the integrated GPU (intel) would automatically swap over to run overwatch using the 1050 display graphics. Upon playing a few games the FPS remained at a consistent 29 - 30 fps even with FPS cap above 30. I ran Dxdiag and found that the display driver when running Overwatch was the intel integrated graphics, not the GTX 1050. I googled ways on overriding the integrated graphics but did not find any answers i needed

My question is really:
Does the 1050 get capped at 30fps when running a low-mid graphics demanding game like overwatch?
Is the 1050 in a laptop different to the 1050 in a desktop?
How do i use the 1050 in my laptop specifically when gaming or has it been running the whole time?

PC specs:
CPU: 7th gen Intel i7 7700HQ
RAM: 8GB
HD: 256Gb SSD
GPU: Intel integrated + GTX 1050 (4GB)

Thanks in advance for reading.

mufox77

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017
I have the same problem and there is NOT a lot of info online about this. Here is what happens to me.

When I have my USB-C dock (just for charging right now and nothing else plugged into the dock) plugged in I get 10FPS in Unigine Superposition v1 benchmarks and HORRIBLE scores with 3dmark firestrike... like 1300 graphics score.
When I unplug the USB-C dock IT JUMPS TO 30FPS even in the middle of the benchmark!!
Either way it should be getting much better scores than this. I have seen the old XPS 9550 get twice as good benches than this and this 1050 should be about 20% - 30% faster!
The only thing I can find is when I run GPU-Z with the dock connected than disconnecting it the Core Clock stays about the same but the memory clock FALLS from 1700mhz to 1200mhz (the FPS jumps 20). Also the GPU load goes from 14% to 54%! This correlates with the jump in FPS.
I don't know much about this stuff but EITHER WAY 30fps is NOT what it should be getting and clearly 10FPS is SO far off its almost like its using the integrated card (but its not).
I have an extreme warranty on this unit (3 years complete support) so I expect them to simply replace it but still this seems to be a mystery.

stonypebbles

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Late reply but, i seem to have found that if u install the NVIDIA software for the GPU, it automatically overrides when it detects games. However it seems that this is only possible when the AC adapter has been plugged in.