Dell XPS L501x Keyboard problem

GforgeXr

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hi
I have a Dell XPS l501x with a cracked screen and I haven´t been using the laptop for almost 4 months. So I plugged it into a hdmi but with no signal and everytime I pressed on the keyboard it made a beeping sound. I don´t think it is sticky keys because why would I then not have any hdmi signal?
Does anyone now a solution or atleast what is the cause of the problem and maybe how to get it fixed?
Thanks

Solution
The good news is the motherboard sounds like it's operating properly. The bad news is that more than likely, the error when booting is something along the lines of "No Operating system found", which will allow for nothing but a hard reset of the computer. This usually occurs when the Hard drive failed and the system cannot find an operating system to load. You would still be able to hit F2 when booting to access the Bios, but that is all you will be able to do without replacing the hard drive.
If you are savy, you can take the drive out and put it into a working computer and see if you can see it in when booting up, and access the contents in windows explorer. This would rule out the bad drive as a possibility, but then I'd recommend...

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
If the system is posting, it only accepts a number of keystrokes before responding with a "busy" beep. My guess is that it's stuck trying to post. If it does it on the first keystroke, then it's encountered an error while turning on that halted the system from booting. This is generally a hardware issue, but shouldn't be from a bad display.
If it is locking up on post, then you would have to fix the display to see the error coming up in order to know what is wrong.

You could try resetting the bios to default (remove cmos battery and main Battery for a minute) or you could try hitting F12 when it starts, as sometimes the error is asking you to hit F2 to load the bios (which you can't see), or F12 to continue (sometimes into a second boot menu, sometimes into windows). If this works, then the external display should be able to be initialized and be used.

GforgeXr

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Yes indeed, the laptop beeps with a busy beep when you press any keys apart from shift ctrl windows key alt and so on. You can also press the fn buttons as long as you press fn down. I´ve tried to press f12 when it boots but with no luck, the same goes for f2. The same goes for when you take the battery and cmos battery out for a minute.
I´ve realised I was able to lower and raise the brightness (I don´t know if that is helpful or not)
The laptop seems to work fine (apart from the broken display and keyboard problem) so I don´t quite get it why it doesn´t work. There are also no local repair shop where I live.

Update: I´ve tried spamming f2 as soon as the laptop boots it made beep sound (different from the others), everytime I clicked on f2 and then it suddenly stopped and I was able to click on my keyboard without any beep sounds. So I´ve tried to click on f1 which swithces between external screen but with no luck getting any display signal.

Thanks

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
The good news is the motherboard sounds like it's operating properly. The bad news is that more than likely, the error when booting is something along the lines of "No Operating system found", which will allow for nothing but a hard reset of the computer. This usually occurs when the Hard drive failed and the system cannot find an operating system to load. You would still be able to hit F2 when booting to access the Bios, but that is all you will be able to do without replacing the hard drive.
If you are savy, you can take the drive out and put it into a working computer and see if you can see it in when booting up, and access the contents in windows explorer. This would rule out the bad drive as a possibility, but then I'd recommend fixing the screen first, knowing there are other issues, or replacing the computer.

Solution