Status
Not open for further replies.

K2killamani

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016
Hi

I hopened someone will take the time to help me, I am not entirely sure what my exact problem is.

Firstly my setup:
Dell XPS L502X
Intel Core i7
Nvidia GTX 540M
4 GB RAM
No peripherals

And now my problems which vary.
There are times that I turn on my laptop to 2/3 beeps from the BIOS. The fan is also on its highest speed. This is usually solved by reseating the RAM. If that doesn't work leaving the laptop for a few days allows me to boot it normally again.

When the laptop does boot and I log in (about 20 seconds after pressing the power button) the fan speed is high however the laptop is not hot. The fan generally never slows down, though there are exceptions to that. If I open a few pieces of software eg photoshop cs4, Internet Explorer, iTunes, all at the same time the laptop then freezes and the screen displays nothing but static. The fan is also on its highest setting. The only way to turn the laptop off at this stage is to pull the power and battery out.
The static screen episode also occurs when using it for menial tasks (Web browsing, word documents and the like) for any longer than about 20 minutes.
It also occurs if I start anything that is too intensive, eg Battlefield 4.

After this when rebooting the laptop I get 2/3 beeps again with the high fan speed. Reseating the RAM does not work. The only solution is to leave the laptop off for around a week before it will then boot again.

If anyone is able to diagnose this your help would be appreciated. If you need any other info then just ask and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thank you

K2killamani

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

The fan is clean. And is also not directly attached to the CPU because of the layout of the case/motherboard.
The fan does sometimes operate normally so I am not sure that this is a cause of the problem more so than it is a symptom.

K2killamani

Commendable
Sep 3, 2016

Having downloaded Speedfan I observed the temperatures for a few minutes. The GPU stayed steadily high at 55 degrees celsius (dc.) For the first few minutes the processor stayed at low to mid 40s (44-46 dc.) However towards the end of my session before switching it off ( the fan was starting to go a little crazy, which was one of my indicators of the laptop to go postal and enter the static stage) the processor temperatures quite quickly shot up to 70 - 90 dc. depending on which core I was looking at.

What this is indicative of, I am not sure, however something is clearly not happy with the GPU always running hot despite only being on the desktop/Firefox to download Speedfan and the temperatures suddenly shot up on the processor.

Thanks for your help so far!

__SID__

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Sounds like an over heating GPU. Reapply thermal paste to both CPU and GPU. Don't touch the thermal pads that are on the smaller chips around the processors under the heat sink, they should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.