Dell XPS M1530 will not power on at all

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I'm working on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop that seems to be having a lot of hardware issues. The laptop originally had Vista Home Edition 32 bit but now it is running XP home edition 32 bit. The main issue with with this laptop right now is that it will not power on at all. When I push the power button, the media buttons above the keyboard light up momentarily and then turn off. The screen does not come on. The cpu fan is not running at all (I noticed this by visually inspecting it), and the laptop does not seem to be running. The only thing that does run is the hard drive (you can hear it running). Prior to this issue with the laptop not powering on at all, the screen was having issues. The screen had gray parts near the bottom where it was slightly dimmer (however the rest of the screen was still working fine). Also, whenever the computer was doing something more graphically intense, like playing a game, the computer would crash. What could possibly be wrong with this laptop?

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

My friend who owns this laptop said that it has bluescreened in the past. Is there any way to know for sure what part went out?

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I was doing some reading on the matter. I heard some people say that the m1530 series has had issues with the graphics cards overheating and damaging the solder connection. Do you think this could possibly be causing it? Or is the cpu fan not working a sure fire sign that it's either the cpu or mobo?

RajeshSDell

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hi mikekazik1,
My Name is Rajesh and I work for Dell.Based on your post, it looks like an LCD or a motherboard failure.

Drain flee power by disconnecting AC adapter,remove battery, hold down power button for 2 minutes, reconnect.

Next try to run test by holding down FN key+ power button and observe any lights on the computer or beep codes..

Then check if you get video on an external monitor.

Let me know what happens.

Regards
Dell-Rajesh S.

ComputerDoc

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Rajesh,
I have the Same XPS M1530.
When you plug in the ac adapter, the ac power light comes on and the fans spin for about 3-5 seconds then stop. No Drive activity, No video, Power led stay on. If you press the power button the lights flash at the top panel then go out with no change in power.

I have replaced the motherboard, no change
I replaced the cpu, no change
I tried the new cpu with old mb, no change
I tried the old cpu with new mb, no change
I have tried a new power adapter, no change.
I tried different memory chips, no change on either board

I have tried powering this board with nothing attached to it but memory, cpu and cooling fan, attached to the control board, no change

The only thing i have no replaced is the DC Jack board, and the CPU Fan assembly.

Again, the MB maintains a solid blue led while plugged in, and fan appears to be functioning at initial plug in.

Im am at a dead end.... DO you have any suggestions or help that i could try.

I was thinking perhaps the board i ordered was a defective board. But its doing the exact same symtoms as the old board...It would be odd for two defective boards doing the same exact thing.

If anyone has any suggestions please please let me know!!!

Thanks Much

sivavemuri

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello Sir, my laptop is not turning on, when i tried to switch it on power button and battery light is blinking but it is not switching on, i tried by disconnecting AC adapter,removing battery, holding down power button for 2 minutes, and reconnecting and then tested it by holding down FN key+ power button but no help its not turning on and little burning type smell is also coming. . So please help me what is the problem ?

sivavemuri

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello Sir, my laptop is not turning on, when i tried to switch it on power button and battery light is blinking but it is not switching on, i tried by disconnecting AC adapter,removing battery, holding down power button for 2 minutes, and reconnecting and then tested it by holding down FN key+ power button but no help its not turning on and little burning type smell is also coming. . So please help me what is the problem ?