Dell XPS m1730 Graphics issue?

needhelp1121

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hello all

First time poster here, ive seen many people have gotten some really good help from people here so thought i would post my issue.

I have a Dell xps m1730 with the following specs:
Intel core 2 duo extreme X9000 2,8ghz
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
4gb Ram
2x Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX in sli (512mb each)

Anyway the laptop has been performing fine. Running all the games with no issues. Playing 1080p movies with no difficulty.

The laptop was working perfect with no issues yesterday.

Today i turned it on and attempted to watch lord of the rings extended in 1080p and noticed the video was VERY laggy.

I then loaded up Mafia 2 (which used to run FLAWLESSLY) Now i can barely move in game with so much fps lag.

I uninstalled nvidia drivers, booted in safe mode, ran driver sweeper and removed anything that was left. Re downloaded the nvidia drivers and installed and this has still not fixed the issue.

Im not a pc techie, but im guessing my graphics card hasnt been burnt out, as i have not got a black screen or anything, and the resolution on the desktop is fine.

Can anyone help me out/give me some advice on what to do? Or are the graphics cards need to be replaced?

If they do need to be replaced can i get anything better than the 8800GTX?

Or is there a way i can fix this?

Any help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

I'm going to suggest a very thorough cleaning. I would expect at the age of your laptop if it has not ben disassembled and cleaned, it is likely past due. Once dust bunnies form in and around the heatsink, they are near impossible to blow out with compressed air. Dell has a Service Manual available here that shows steps of disassembly http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/xps-m1730 videos can be helpful also. Alternatively, you can take it to a local laptop repair shop to have it cleaned
You can download coretemp and check your temps to see if overheating is the underlying issue

rwalworth1

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
If you have automatic updates on, TURN IT OFF. there are some updates that will conflic with your system. MS is trying to control your laptop. I suggrest to completely reset your whole laptop, once you get it back to where everything is running fast have that automatic updates off. MS love to mess with computers, especially custom systems. One is the store already have MS control over them. Custom systems do not. The last custom system I built work fine one first run, everything running fast. Once MS rec running updates, I did that and almost everything was messed up. I completely reset everyting, turned off auto update, and ran computer one with without updates on. One driver was outdated, but over time in searching, I found the driver and got it fixed without the windows auto updates. No problems, No errors, and No ussies. Laptop kept the speed. I sold it to my cousin and one year later the laptop was faster then the new freshly bought in the store. MS love to take control of any computer with their software installed. My three laptops I build myself. All do not have the windows auto update on. All laptops are running just as fast as these new laptops out. One is a gateway with a 2.16GHz duo core. I is faster than my sister toshiba that she bought a year ago. I never use any virus control software and never has any issue with any of my deask tops or laptops. Local computer shop love to check out you computer and copy anything they want. Watch out for one that are new or never hear about.

neilroberts

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014