Solved! Dell xps won't go past dell logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NenadaPC

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Hey guys, recently decided to mess with a laptop I have laying around but quickly found that it doesn't even boot up. It was working just fine a few months ago .

It freezes on the dell logo screen with the F12 Boot options and F2 Setup options.

It just loads the bar half way through and then stops, the screen is obviously not frozen because when I hit f12 or f2 the saturation on the words goes up as if I've selected that option.

I'm really hoping it's not a hard drive failure, if so is there any way I can use an external USB to install windows to and run it from there?

Solution

Are you spamming F2 from the moment you hit the power button?

Also, make sure you're doing a full power cycle. That is, removing the charging cable and battery to ensure it's all the way off

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
It sounds like a hard drive problem, unfortunately. Paladin's recommendation is the best place to start, because if bios can't detect it, then the best you can hope for is data recovery. Hope you've been making backups, in any case.

NenadaPC

Prominent
May 8, 2017

It won't let me access F2 or F12. It just lights the option up but doesn't go anywhere.

kaptainkuftic

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

Are you spamming F2 from the moment you hit the power button?

Also, make sure you're doing a full power cycle. That is, removing the charging cable and battery to ensure it's all the way off

Solution

NenadaPC

Prominent
May 8, 2017

I haven't tried to do a full power cycle, I will try that now.

And yes I've tried accessing F2 and F12 by spamming from the moment I turn the laptop on.

Status
Not open for further replies.