Designing a Speaker System for a Shop

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Hi guys,

I am hoping to get some help on a somewhat unique, and possibly fun problem. I have a large shop that floats, 100ft by about 30 wide and 30 tall. It has an upper walkways as well as a lower walkway with room for boats to park inside. I am trying to configure a relatively inexpensive system for it as it is a shop. This outstrips my expertise by a bit. Two options. Redesign the entire system, in which case disregard the rest of this and just give me some ideas. The other option is here: I need to drive eight speakers, 2 pairs of Polk Atrium 5s, one set of Poly Planar speakers and another set of somethings (not sure yet but they will most likely be ~80 watt). The problem is that some speakers have 100ft+ cable runs on Radio Shack cable, others 50ft runs on Radio Shack cable and some with 10ft lengths of the same cable. In order to get the 100ft runs I had to spice cables, adding even MORE resistance to the runs.

Heres the big question: I need an amp that can drive the very inefficient Polks and push the 100ft plus runs on bad cable. This leads me to believe I need about 150 watts per channel on a surround amp, or I can use the Niles speaker selection system I have to drive all the speakers off of 2 massively powerful channels (300 watt channels). It also needs the capability to run a sub.

Any help would be great!

The best way to overcome the thin wires is to use a 70v system. This piggybacks the audio on top of 70v. You would need an amplifier with 70v output and a step down transformer at each speaker to remove the 70v. This transformer has multiple taps which allows you to select how much of the total power goes to that speaker. You could use an amp like this one
http://www.snapav.com/p-1790-eca-70amp-2d-300a.aspx
If you decided to change the speakers you could get ones that have the transformer built in.
If the sub is self powered then it would connect in parallel to the amp from your source. If it is not then you would also need add a sub amp. The sub would be best not run at 70v

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

How big a sub for a space that big?